[ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Baseball, anyone? - miamizsun - Jul 30, 2016 - 5:49pm
 
The Obituary Page - Red_Dragon - Jul 30, 2016 - 4:21pm
 
Things You Thought Today - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jul 30, 2016 - 3:43pm
 
Trump - Red_Dragon - Jul 30, 2016 - 3:15pm
 
Tesla (motors, batteries, etc) - lausebengel - Jul 30, 2016 - 2:29pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - DaveInVA - Jul 30, 2016 - 2:09pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Red_Dragon - Jul 30, 2016 - 1:58pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jul 30, 2016 - 1:40pm
 
NEED A COMPUTER GEEK! - DaveInVA - Jul 30, 2016 - 1:27pm
 
Name My Band - SeriousLee - Jul 30, 2016 - 1:11pm
 
RP3 Beta Player - lausebengel - Jul 30, 2016 - 1:08pm
 
2016 Elections - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jul 30, 2016 - 11:40am
 
songs that ROCK! - Sean-E-Sean - Jul 30, 2016 - 11:26am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos; Please Limit to 510 ... - fractalv - Jul 30, 2016 - 9:48am
 
Counting with Pictures - ZM_Herb - Jul 30, 2016 - 8:55am
 
Other Medical Stuff - DaveInVA - Jul 30, 2016 - 7:11am
 
So, where do you go, what happens? - Red_Dragon - Jul 30, 2016 - 7:03am
 
Today, I learned... - Antigone - Jul 30, 2016 - 6:48am
 
First World Problems - DaveInVA - Jul 30, 2016 - 6:37am
 
What are you listening to now? - helenofjoy - Jul 30, 2016 - 6:37am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - sirdroseph - Jul 30, 2016 - 5:52am
 
Back to the 90's - R_P - Jul 29, 2016 - 6:00pm
 
Bear! - JrzyTmata - Jul 29, 2016 - 2:14pm
 
Music makes beer taste better - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 29, 2016 - 1:55pm
 
Non-partisan, non-religious anti-science topic - Proclivities - Jul 29, 2016 - 10:13am
 
Love this station - miamizsun - Jul 29, 2016 - 9:38am
 
Books read recently - ScottN - Jul 29, 2016 - 8:53am
 
HALF A WORLD - Proclivities - Jul 29, 2016 - 7:40am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - lily34 - Jul 29, 2016 - 7:16am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Jul 29, 2016 - 5:05am
 
RightWingNutZ - kctomato - Jul 28, 2016 - 7:57pm
 
Live Music - rhahl - Jul 28, 2016 - 6:58pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - rhahl - Jul 28, 2016 - 6:39pm
 
Beer - islander - Jul 28, 2016 - 5:32pm
 
Back to the 10's - rhahl - Jul 28, 2016 - 5:07pm
 
The war on Funk is over! - rhahl - Jul 28, 2016 - 3:54pm
 
Back to the 00's - rhahl - Jul 28, 2016 - 2:41pm
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Jul 28, 2016 - 12:42pm
 
Back to the 70's - Proclivities - Jul 28, 2016 - 11:55am
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - miamizsun - Jul 28, 2016 - 11:10am
 
Media Bias - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 28, 2016 - 10:49am
 
Food - Proclivities - Jul 28, 2016 - 10:24am
 
What makes you smile? - Steely_D - Jul 28, 2016 - 9:02am
 
What Did You Do Today? - haresfur - Jul 28, 2016 - 8:57am
 
Upcoming concerts or shows you can't wait to see - steeler - Jul 28, 2016 - 7:51am
 
True Confessions - ScottN - Jul 28, 2016 - 7:44am
 
Tech & Science - Proclivities - Jul 28, 2016 - 7:13am
 
Unindicted felon: candidate Hillary Clinton - lily34 - Jul 28, 2016 - 6:22am
 
Sunrise, Sunset - Antigone - Jul 27, 2016 - 6:08pm
 
Nederland / The Netherlands - oldviolin - Jul 27, 2016 - 5:50pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Jul 27, 2016 - 5:31pm
 
Pick a sport, any sport - haresfur - Jul 27, 2016 - 3:41pm
 
You might be getting old if...... - EdEastridge - Jul 27, 2016 - 1:45pm
 
Post your vacation pictures here! - Antigone - Jul 27, 2016 - 10:46am
 
Graphs, Charts & Maps - aflanigan - Jul 27, 2016 - 10:00am
 
Would you drive this car for dating with ur girl? - DaveInVA - Jul 27, 2016 - 7:47am
 
Protest Songs - rhahl - Jul 26, 2016 - 8:24pm
 
BACK TO THE 80's - rhahl - Jul 26, 2016 - 7:47pm
 
Next life I'm going to be a black girl backup singer - rhahl - Jul 26, 2016 - 5:49pm
 
How's the weather? - haresfur - Jul 26, 2016 - 5:06pm
 
Postmodern Jukebox - rhahl - Jul 26, 2016 - 4:48pm
 
The Image Post - trekhead - Jul 26, 2016 - 1:08pm
 
Delicacies: a..k.a.. the Gross Food forum - DaveInVA - Jul 26, 2016 - 11:42am
 
Celebrity Face Recognition - Proclivities - Jul 26, 2016 - 10:26am
 
Using the cache on an Android Phone - BillG - Jul 26, 2016 - 9:14am
 
Geeky funny - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 26, 2016 - 8:44am
 
Thought For The Day - Proclivities - Jul 26, 2016 - 8:41am
 
New Music - rhahl - Jul 26, 2016 - 8:07am
 
Quotations - Antigone - Jul 26, 2016 - 7:58am
 
Real One Hit Wonders (huge careers based on one song) - Proclivities - Jul 26, 2016 - 7:50am
 
What Are You Grateful For? - Antigone - Jul 26, 2016 - 6:15am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - Steely_D - Jul 25, 2016 - 6:39pm
 
What was No.1 on the day you were born - Coaxial - Jul 25, 2016 - 6:18pm
 
What was Number One on the day you were born? - Steely_D - Jul 25, 2016 - 4:24pm
 
Unusual News - DaveInVA - Jul 25, 2016 - 4:03pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Ask the Libertarian Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142  Next
Post to this Topic
aflanigan
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity
aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Rat


Posted: Jun 13, 2016 - 7:14am

For good or ill in terms of the party's visibility and viability, the current election season, featuring two historically disliked presumptive nominees, is prompting the media to pay some real attention to the Libertarian party/candidates.

Gary Johnson is Here to Tell You You're a Libertarian 

If I were a politician, being insulted by Donald Trump is a badge of honor I would also wear with pride.


aflanigan
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity
aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Rat


Posted: Jun 13, 2016 - 7:08am

 Lazy8 wrote:


So you're kind of half right: the Democrats are happy to Libertarians in the race because we usually take a bigger bite out of Republican candidates than Democratic.
 
Uh, maybe not. (check out the "vote by ideology" category)
R_P
Ni dieu ni maître
R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 3, 2016 - 8:35am

 miamizsun wrote:
he's embraced transparency {#Wink}
 
{#Cheesygrin}
{#Dancingbanana}
aflanigan
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity
aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Rat


Posted: Jun 3, 2016 - 8:26am

 Lazy8 wrote:


Let's examine another possibility: that people you despise actually have principles, and would put them before their own political careers. Try and wrap your head around that.

 
You're rather testy. Someone got up on the wrong side of the internet, obviously.

{#Wink} 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 3, 2016 - 5:56am

 sirdroseph wrote:
Um.. thoughtful people might say that the Libertarians are the true progressives certainly when it comes to social issues.  Just a thought.
 
practically all political language/definitions have been commandeered

it's hard for people to have a discussion unless they can agree on definitions first

 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 3, 2016 - 5:48am

 R_P wrote:

Makes me wonder about the actual principle in play with the Naked Cherub candidate. {#Wink}

 
he's embraced transparency {#Wink}
sirdroseph
Endeavor to Perservere
sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Sagittarius
Chinese Yr: Dragon


Posted: Jun 3, 2016 - 2:18am

 Red_Dragon wrote:

Um... like say, progressive candidates who might also have principals and put them before their political careers, say? Just a thought.

 
Um.. thoughtful people might say that the Libertarians are the true progressives certainly when it comes to social issues.  Just a thought.


Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 6:57pm

 Lazy8 wrote:


Yep, just like that.

 
wellokaythen
Lazy8
human
Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 6:49pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Um... like say, progressive candidates who might also have principals and put them before their political careers, say? Just a thought.

Yep, just like that.
muzik
Mrs. Ellis
muzik Avatar

Location: Montana
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Sagittarius
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 6:49pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:

Um... like say, progressive candidates who might also have principals and put them before their political careers, say? Just a thought.

 
{#Bounce}
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 6:43pm

 Lazy8 wrote:
Let's examine another possibility: that people you despise actually have principles, and would put them before their own political careers. Try and wrap your head around that.

 
Um... like say, progressive candidates who might also have principals and put them before their political careers, say? Just a thought.


R_P
Ni dieu ni maître
R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 5:06pm

 Lazy8 wrote:
Let's examine another possibility: that people you despise actually have principles, and would put them before their own political careers. Try and wrap your head around that.
 
Makes me wonder about the actual principle in play with the Naked Cherub candidate. {#Wink}
Lazy8
human
Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 4:04pm

 aflanigan wrote:
So why did his supposed enemy grease the skids in Kentucky to allow him to run for Prez and also for Senate as a Republican? Yea, tell me again about how McConnell has previously refused to have anything to do with Paul.
You probably wouldn't like my explanations regarding the rise of Trump.

So Mitch McConnell will kiss any ass he needs to to stay in power. A shocking revelation.

Politics has made for strange bedfellows before, and this is no different. Both McConnell and Paul have to answer to the voters of Kentucky, who would rather they got along than stayed at war with each other. And imagine the fallout back home if McConnell had endorsed somebody else and Paul's campaign had flourished.

They both know which side their bread is buttered on.

As far as LP being the doorway to political success, I never said it was a strategy that would succeed, but when you've been stuck at the bottom of the well, you'll grasp at any straw that's offered.

Let's examine another possibility: that people you despise actually have principles, and would put them before their own political careers. Try and wrap your head around that.
aflanigan
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity
aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Rat


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 2:19pm

 Lazy8 wrote:
aflanigan wrote:
I would say that the GOP (and the Dems, if presented with the opportunity) would welcome libertarian candidates (either official or self-described) if it suited their purposes, as the GOP seems to have done recently. Weren't they ready to hitch their wagon to Rand Paul when he was seen as the great young white hope to unseat the Democratic party, until he proved to be a rather ineffectual senator and presidential candidate? The recent version of the GOP has been generally big on ideological purity and litmus tests, but if I recall correctly the party establishment didn't jump up to put the RINO label on Rand Paul when he ran for senate, did they?

Um...you need to get out of your bubble more.

Mitch McConnell campaigned against Rand Paul in the primaries for the Kentucky Senate seat he now holds. The Republican leadership has hurled all manner of insults at him ("looney bird" was one of my favorites) and he's been at odds with them more often than not. During his filibuster over drone warfare not a single Republican senator stood with him.

No, the Republican party barely tolerates its libertarian wing. They regard the LP the way Al Gore's campaign viewed the Greens: as spoilers stealing their votes. In the last election the Republican party sued to get Libertarians kicked off the ballot for Senate in my own state and for governor in Virginia; the LP vote more than covered the margins of victory for the Democrats that ultimately won.

So you're kind of half right: the Democrats are happy to Libertarians in the race because we usually take a bigger bite out of Republican candidates than Democratic. This year that may change, at least at the top of the ticket. but I digress.

The party leadership is big on litmus tests and ideological purity (look what happened to Eric Cantor) but the voters don't seem to be this year. Otherwise...explain the rise of Trump.

I suspect libertarian politicians are like any other type. At bottom, they are compelled to be opportunists. If they see opportunity in aligning themselves with a group, or leaving a group, they will probably seriously consider it if it will advance their political caree.

Right, the LP is the ultimate pathway to power. {#Roflol}

 
So why did his supposed enemy grease the skids in Kentucky to allow him to run for Prez and also for Senate as a Republican? Yea, tell me again about how McConnell has previously refused to have anything to do with Paul.
You probably wouldn't like my explanations regarding the rise of Trump.

As far as LP being the doorway to political success, I never said it was a strategy that would succeed, but when you've been stuck at the bottom of the well, you'll grasp at any straw that's offered. 
Lazy8
human
Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 1:23pm

aflanigan wrote:
I would say that the GOP (and the Dems, if presented with the opportunity) would welcome libertarian candidates (either official or self-described) if it suited their purposes, as the GOP seems to have done recently. Weren't they ready to hitch their wagon to Rand Paul when he was seen as the great young white hope to unseat the Democratic party, until he proved to be a rather ineffectual senator and presidential candidate? The recent version of the GOP has been generally big on ideological purity and litmus tests, but if I recall correctly the party establishment didn't jump up to put the RINO label on Rand Paul when he ran for senate, did they?

Um...you need to get out of your bubble more.

Mitch McConnell campaigned against Rand Paul in the primaries for the Kentucky Senate seat he now holds. The Republican leadership has hurled all manner of insults at him ("looney bird" was one of my favorites) and he's been at odds with them more often than not. During his filibuster over drone warfare not a single Republican senator stood with him.

No, the Republican party barely tolerates its libertarian wing. They regard the LP the way Al Gore's campaign viewed the Greens: as spoilers stealing their votes. In the last election the Republican party sued to get Libertarians kicked off the ballot for Senate in my own state and for governor in Virginia; the LP vote more than covered the margins of victory for the Democrats that ultimately won.

So you're kind of half right: the Democrats are happy to Libertarians in the race because we usually take a bigger bite out of Republican candidates than Democratic. This year that may change, at least at the top of the ticket. but I digress.

The party leadership is big on litmus tests and ideological purity (look what happened to Eric Cantor) but the voters don't seem to be this year. Otherwise...explain the rise of Trump.

I suspect libertarian politicians are like any other type. At bottom, they are compelled to be opportunists. If they see opportunity in aligning themselves with a group, or leaving a group, they will probably seriously consider it if it will advance their political caree.

Right, the LP is the ultimate pathway to power. {#Roflol}
aflanigan
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity
aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Rat


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 11:45am

 Lazy8 wrote:
 aflanigan wrote:
It was right there in the subhed, if you had bothered to read carefully.

The only way for Gary Johnson to succeed is to leave his party behind

And reiterated more clearly in the body of the article:

 "the only way for the party’s ticket to succeed in a big way—to get on the debate stage with the major-party candidates in the fall, and to reach double digits in November—is for the ticket to leave the party behind."

They would be doing no more than the Pauls have done, basically (i.e. use the LP as a springboard to get into the politicla mainstream). But hey, why engage in serious dialogue when there's media to be bashed! 

Sorry, I was distracted by the title, "Libertarians Are Loons".

He devoted all of one sentence to it. Had he treated Johnson and Weld as serious candidates that thesis might have some credibility, but he just used it as a vehicle to bash the LP.

As for the Pauls: Ron Paul moved in and out of the mainstream, as I pointed out. His run on the LP ticket didn't exactly rocket him to credibility, he already had credibility. Rand Paul has never been associated with the LP.

Libertarian politics hasn't been a springboard to mainstream electoral success, probably the opposite. If anything the incumbent parties have treated members who detoured thru the LP as outcasts, like Ron Paul and Bob Barr.

 
I would say that the GOP (and the Dems, if presented with the opportunity) would welcome libertarian candidates (either official or self-described) if it suited their purposes, as the GOP seems to have done recently. Weren't they ready to hitch their wagon to Rand Paul when he was seen as the great young white hope to unseat the Democratic party, until he proved to be a rather ineffectual senator and presidential candidate? The recent version of the GOP has been generally big on ideological purity and litmus tests, but if I recall correctly the party establishment didn't jump up to put the RINO label on Rand Paul when he ran for senate, did they?

I suspect libertarian politicians are like any other type. At bottom, they are compelled to be opportunists. If they see opportunity in aligning themselves with a group, or leaving a group, they will probably seriously consider it if it will advance their political caree. 
ScottFromWyoming
I eat pints
ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Pisces
Chinese Yr: Tiger


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 10:58am

 Lazy8 wrote:
Had he treated Johnson and Weld as serious candidates that thesis might have some credibility, but he just used it as a vehicle to bash the LP.
 
I read the article as treating Johnson and Weld as serious candidates, pointing out for newcomers that they won't be in the debates if their polling doesn't rise (but that their poll numbers are moving up).
Lazy8
human
Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 9:18am

 aflanigan wrote:
It was right there in the subhed, if you had bothered to read carefully.

The only way for Gary Johnson to succeed is to leave his party behind

And reiterated more clearly in the body of the article:

 "the only way for the party’s ticket to succeed in a big way—to get on the debate stage with the major-party candidates in the fall, and to reach double digits in November—is for the ticket to leave the party behind."

They would be doing no more than the Pauls have done, basically (i.e. use the LP as a springboard to get into the politicla mainstream). But hey, why engage in serious dialogue when there's media to be bashed! 

Sorry, I was distracted by the title, "Libertarians Are Loons".

He devoted all of one sentence to it. Had he treated Johnson and Weld as serious candidates that thesis might have some credibility, but he just used it as a vehicle to bash the LP.

As for the Pauls: Ron Paul moved in and out of the mainstream, as I pointed out. His run on the LP ticket didn't exactly rocket him to credibility, he already had credibility. Rand Paul has never been associated with the LP.

Libertarian politics hasn't been a springboard to mainstream electoral success, probably the opposite. If anything the incumbent parties have treated members who detoured thru the LP as outcasts, like Ron Paul and Bob Barr.
aflanigan
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity
aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Rat


Posted: Jun 2, 2016 - 8:29am

 Lazy8 wrote:

What thesis? 
It was right there in the subhed, if you had bothered to read carefully.

The only way for Gary Johnson to succeed is to leave his party behind

And reiterated more clearly in the body of the article:

 "the only way for the party’s ticket to succeed in a big way—to get on the debate stage with the major-party candidates in the fall, and to reach double digits in November—is for the ticket to leave the party behind."

They would be doing no more than the Pauls have done, basically (i.e. use the LP as a springboard to get into the politicla mainstream). But hey, why engage in serious dialogue when there's media to be bashed! 

Lazy8
human
Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 1, 2016 - 6:05am

 miamizsun wrote:
unfortunately salon.com is right there with them...

Yeah, they've always been overtly hostile. Slate at least attempts a veneer of impartiality.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142  Next