RP Listener Forum - Radio Paradise - eclectic commercial free Internet radio
[ ]      [ ]   [ ]

RightWingNutZ - RichardPrins - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:14pm
 
Windows 8.1 - katzendogs - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:10pm
 
The Global War on Terror - katzendogs - Jul 25, 2014 - 8:27pm
 
Gardeners Corner - kctomato - Jul 25, 2014 - 8:26pm
 
Those lovable NSA/GCHQ/CSEC/DGSE/ASD/CIA guys - RichardPrins - Jul 25, 2014 - 7:45pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - DaveInVA - Jul 25, 2014 - 7:19pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - haresfur - Jul 25, 2014 - 7:09pm
 
~*Funny Cats*~ - haresfur - Jul 25, 2014 - 6:59pm
 
Does Ian Anderson donate a lot of $$$$ to Radio Paradise? - n4ku - Jul 25, 2014 - 6:36pm
 
Caretakers Of Our Parents - bokey - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:52pm
 
When Democracy Failed - kurtster - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:49pm
 
Favorite Quotes - RichardPrins - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:15pm
 
Maps • Google • GeoGuessr - Steve - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:11pm
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - katzendogs - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:11pm
 
Things You Thought Today - bokey - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:04pm
 
Palestine - RichardPrins - Jul 25, 2014 - 4:58pm
 
How's the weather? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jul 25, 2014 - 4:45pm
 
Evolution! - RichardPrins - Jul 25, 2014 - 4:44pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - buzz - Jul 25, 2014 - 4:41pm
 
Firefly and Serenity - expertTexpert - Jul 25, 2014 - 4:28pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - RichardPrins - Jul 25, 2014 - 3:47pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 25, 2014 - 3:45pm
 
What are you doing RIGHT NOW? - darkblue - Jul 25, 2014 - 2:23pm
 
*awkward* - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 25, 2014 - 1:19pm
 
Favourite Scriptures - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jul 25, 2014 - 1:05pm
 
Celebrity Face Recognition - sirdroseph - Jul 25, 2014 - 12:14pm
 
Congress - expertTexpert - Jul 25, 2014 - 11:52am
 
Random Solutions - Random Advice - expertTexpert - Jul 25, 2014 - 11:17am
 
Stuff I Heard Other People Say Out Loud - miamizsun - Jul 25, 2014 - 11:12am
 
OUR CATS!! - DaveInVA - Jul 25, 2014 - 10:57am
 
Israel - RichardPrins - Jul 25, 2014 - 10:38am
 
Make Jrzy Laugh - miamizsun - Jul 25, 2014 - 10:34am
 
HALF A WORLD - sirdroseph - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:57am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:47am
 
HELP: STOP Monsanto - sirdroseph - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:36am
 
Word of the Day - Antigone - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:34am
 
Oklahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:31am
 
Summer Concerts - Red_Dragon - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:26am
 
Canada - RichardPrins - Jul 25, 2014 - 9:13am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - Antigone - Jul 25, 2014 - 8:55am
 
Ask the Libertarian - miamizsun - Jul 25, 2014 - 6:22am
 
What Makes You Laugh? - kctomato - Jul 25, 2014 - 6:16am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Jul 25, 2014 - 6:12am
 
Party planning advice - Proclivities - Jul 25, 2014 - 6:05am
 
For Jrzy! - JrzyTmata - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:50am
 
Religion + Politics - kurtster - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:35am
 
Name My Band - kurtster - Jul 25, 2014 - 5:17am
 
Economix - kurtster - Jul 25, 2014 - 3:38am
 
Ukraine - kurtster - Jul 25, 2014 - 3:05am
 
Pandora - BlueHeronDruid - Jul 25, 2014 - 12:17am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos; Please Limit to 510 ... - Alchemist - Jul 24, 2014 - 11:42pm
 
Help me with a creative one-line slogan! - buzz - Jul 24, 2014 - 7:26pm
 
The Dragons' Roost - ScottN - Jul 24, 2014 - 6:30pm
 
Environment - RichardPrins - Jul 24, 2014 - 6:29pm
 
OBAMACARE - kurtster - Jul 24, 2014 - 6:03pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Antigone - Jul 24, 2014 - 5:52pm
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Jul 24, 2014 - 4:52pm
 
LeftWingNutZ - DaveInVA - Jul 24, 2014 - 4:33pm
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - haresfur - Jul 24, 2014 - 4:13pm
 
Nosemouth - RichardPrins - Jul 24, 2014 - 2:43pm
 
Gaza - mutepoint - Jul 24, 2014 - 2:29pm
 
Google Chrome - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 24, 2014 - 2:27pm
 
Dreams - Tales from your sleep - meower - Jul 24, 2014 - 2:17pm
 
Climate Chaos - bokey - Jul 24, 2014 - 1:18pm
 
Anyone doing/done any MOOCs? - RichardPrins - Jul 24, 2014 - 12:42pm
 
• • • What Makes You Happy? • • •  - ScottN - Jul 24, 2014 - 12:10pm
 
Climate Change - RichardPrins - Jul 24, 2014 - 11:53am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - K_Love - Jul 24, 2014 - 11:43am
 
The Chomsky / Zinn Reader - RichardPrins - Jul 24, 2014 - 11:41am
 
Recycle Bin - Proclivities - Jul 24, 2014 - 11:17am
 
That's good advice - expertTexpert - Jul 24, 2014 - 10:46am
 
The Duran2 Forum - sirdroseph - Jul 24, 2014 - 10:16am
 
Regarding cats - DaveInVA - Jul 24, 2014 - 9:57am
 
Iraq - Red_Dragon - Jul 24, 2014 - 8:55am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - 2cats - Jul 24, 2014 - 8:38am
 
(a public service of RP)
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Caretakers Of Our Parents Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Post to this Topic
bokey
Bokey
bokey Avatar

Location: Natsville
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 25, 2014 - 5:52pm

  Facilities that offer sub-acute vs acute physical therapy are scammers and should be avoided.They do not want your loved one to improve,they want a patient they can bill Medicare for as long as they can.

   That is all.
Alexandra

Alexandra Avatar

Location: PNW
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Libra
Chinese Yr: Horse


Posted: Jun 18, 2014 - 8:31pm

A conversation I had with my mom when I visited her - while watching a segment about the Beat Poets in the Haight, in Aerial California:
 
 
Me: Just think, Mom...the beat poets were YOUR age.

Mom: Mm-hm. (I don't think she really remembered who they were)
 
Me: You could've been a Beatnik. Or a hippie! Some of the first hippies were your age, and they took their kids to Woodstock. You could've been a hippie at Woodstock, too!
 
Mom: Well I'm glad I wasn't! And I wouldn't have taken a baby to that concert!
 
 
 
I love her. Deep inside, no matter what happens to her brain, she'll always be Mom.
 
 
 


MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Apr 24, 2014 - 6:23am

 bokey wrote:




 
This made me LOL for real, thank you!! I HAVE to share this over at the other place! {#Roflol}(Oh, poop, turns out that my Photoshop skills don't extend to knowing how to merge these photos into one. Ah well, still funny as hell.)


katzendogs

katzendogs Avatar

Location: Pasadena, Texas
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Dragon


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 7:17pm

 bokey wrote:




 
Winner!
Alexandra

Alexandra Avatar

Location: PNW
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Libra
Chinese Yr: Horse


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 7:09pm


bokey
Bokey
bokey Avatar

Location: Natsville
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 7:07pm




Alexandra

Alexandra Avatar

Location: PNW
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Libra
Chinese Yr: Horse


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 6:23pm

 katzendogs wrote:

there should be a "geezer dip" somewhere. hoist him and his chair all up in there!

 
 

 
 
It could be nice and hot, like a spa, and make them feel good in the process.
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 6:09pm

 katzendogs wrote:

there should be a "geezer dip" somewhere. hoist him and his chair all up in there!

 
{#Lol}
katzendogs

katzendogs Avatar

Location: Pasadena, Texas
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Dragon


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 3:50pm

 MsJudi wrote:

I'm taking all suggestions! {#Lol}

 
there should be a "geezer dip" somewhere. hoist him and his chair all up in there!
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 3:45pm

 bokey wrote:

So I guess it woulda been OK to post the croquet mallet idea I had earlier?{#Shifty}

 
I'm taking all suggestions! {#Lol}
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 3:45pm

 katzendogs wrote:

I have no words for this situation other than to take him outside and hosing him down. How old is he? Can they withhold his food or perhaps taze him! {#Shifty}  sorry.

 
Give me the tazer gun, I'll do it myself! He's 82.
bokey
Bokey
bokey Avatar

Location: Natsville
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 3:42pm

 katzendogs wrote:

I have no words for this situation other than to take him outside and hosing him down. How old is he? Can they withhold his food or perhaps taze him! {#Shifty}  sorry.

 
So I guess it woulda been OK to post the croquet mallet idea I had earlier?{#Shifty}
katzendogs

katzendogs Avatar

Location: Pasadena, Texas
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese Yr: Dragon


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 3:39pm

 MsJudi wrote:

It's not something that can be done to him on a regular basis. And I'm beyond caring about it, anymore. I know that sounds harsh, but I've been fighting with him for three years about his terrible hygiene and dammit, I'm not his mother- if he wants to reek to high heavens, he's 7 times 3, he can make that choice.

 
I have no words for this situation other than to take him outside and hosing him down. How old is he? Can they withhold his food or perhaps taze him! {#Shifty}  sorry.
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 2:43pm

 meower wrote:


this is a good place to express resentment. It's a good place over all. I love you J.

 
I love you too, lady. {#Kiss}
meower

meower Avatar

Location: i believe, i believe, it's silly, but I believe
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Gemini


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 2:19pm

 MsJudi wrote:

{#Kiss}

 

this is a good place to express resentment. It's a good place over all. I love you J.
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 1:59pm

 lily34 wrote:

you've been doing great for 3 long years at your own expense through it. it's ok

 
{#Kiss}
lily34
STFU
lily34 Avatar

Location: GTFO
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Cancer
Chinese Yr: Monkey


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 12:53pm

 MsJudi wrote:

I know there's gonna be some guilt associated with all of this when he's gone. What I hope is that I remember then what I recognize now: that I've done my best for three long years, when no one else in his life was willing to step up. He doesn't want my help, doesn't think he needs it (until it's time for a meal... or his pills... or a doctor's visit... or his taxes need to be done... or his bills need to be paid) and he certainly doesn't want it from me, whom he considers to be a mouthy housewife with no intrinsic value.

{#Hug}

 
you've been doing great for 3 long years at your own expense through it. it's ok
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 12:35pm

 lily34 wrote:
 MsJudi wrote:
{#Group-hug}

I want to be in one of those relationships with my parent that I keep seeing and reading about, the one where the kids are grateful to their parent, want more than anything to take care of them, love and respect them for the wonderful life their parent gave them and the sacrifices their parent made for them. But I never had any of that with my dad. He never made any sacrifices for us. Seriously, not once. He never sacrificed his time, never sacrificed his love, never sacrificed a dime of his earnings (my mother paid for everything in our household while Dad blew his earnings on gambling and booze.) He made sure everyone in the house knew that he worked the night shift because he couldn't stand being with his family in the evenings. He made sure to remind me repeatedly after my mother left him when I was 13 that she had stopped loving him the day I was born. He made a point of ignoring my because I was a girl, and as such, worth less than nothing. He made a point of telling me that he wouldn't ever take me on any trips with him because I would, "Make everyone in the car miserable." He spent my adult life not caring what I was doing, not asking me a single question about myself, my life, my career, my loves. He didn't even know I was a professional artist until 3 years ago when his caretaker asked me what I did for a living. I'd told him a million times, had tried to talk to him about it, how it enriched my life, how happy it made me, but evidently he was ignoring even that. He's told me many times since then that what I do isn't a job, that I don't actually work, and when shown my work, his response is a sarcastic, eye-rolling, "Wow, that sure is abstract." Once last year, when we were having dinner at our house, Greg said to him, "Dad, you never mention Judi's work, even though it's hanging on the walls right now." Dad, in a thoroughly disgusted voice, said, "What the hell should I say? WOW! AMAZING! INCREDIBLE!" Greg almost punched him out.

I recognize that it's my own expectations that keep letting me down, that expecting anything from my father is a fools' errand, but somehow I'm still always surprised when he chooses ugliness, suspicion, and disinterest over his own daughter. I'm the one left feeling guilty when I refuse to see him, even though I know perfectly well that he's making the decision for both of us.

Anyway, that's enough bitching and wallowing for one day. It's a beautiful day and I'm going to get outside and put all that vitamin D to good use.

my mom's dad was a jerk very much like yours.
she let go of worrying about their relationship after one too many of his episodes of disrespect. it lightened her load. but, when he died, she did have some feelings of guilt, but that didn't last long. it takes two to love and have a relationship, you know?
anyway, i'm so sorry, judi

 
I know there's gonna be some guilt associated with all of this when he's gone. What I hope is that I remember then what I recognize now: that I've done my best for three long years, when no one else in his life was willing to step up. He doesn't want my help, doesn't think he needs it (until it's time for a meal... or his pills... or a doctor's visit... or his taxes need to be done... or his bills need to be paid) and he certainly doesn't want it from me, whom he considers to be a mouthy housewife with no intrinsic value.

{#Hug}
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 12:31pm

 bokey wrote:

 If I was in that situation and had medical power of attorney,I'd talk to his doctor about having him sedated and sponge bathed.

 
It's not something that can be done to him on a regular basis. And I'm beyond caring about it, anymore. I know that sounds harsh, but I've been fighting with him for three years about his terrible hygiene and dammit, I'm not his mother- if he wants to reek to high heavens, he's 7 times 3, he can make that choice.
lily34
STFU
lily34 Avatar

Location: GTFO
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Cancer
Chinese Yr: Monkey


Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 10:51am

 MsJudi wrote:
{#Group-hug}

I want to be in one of those relationships with my parent that I keep seeing and reading about, the one where the kids are grateful to their parent, want more than anything to take care of them, love and respect them for the wonderful life their parent gave them and the sacrifices their parent made for them. But I never had any of that with my dad. He never made any sacrifices for us. Seriously, not once. He never sacrificed his time, never sacrificed his love, never sacrificed a dime of his earnings (my mother paid for everything in our household while Dad blew his earnings on gambling and booze.) He made sure everyone in the house knew that he worked the night shift because he couldn't stand being with his family in the evenings. He made sure to remind me repeatedly after my mother left him when I was 13 that she had stopped loving him the day I was born. He made a point of ignoring my because I was a girl, and as such, worth less than nothing. He made a point of telling me that he wouldn't ever take me on any trips with him because I would, "Make everyone in the car miserable." He spent my adult life not caring what I was doing, not asking me a single question about myself, my life, my career, my loves. He didn't even know I was a professional artist until 3 years ago when his caretaker asked me what I did for a living. I'd told him a million times, had tried to talk to him about it, how it enriched my life, how happy it made me, but evidently he was ignoring even that. He's told me many times since then that what I do isn't a job, that I don't actually work, and when shown my work, his response is a sarcastic, eye-rolling, "Wow, that sure is abstract." Once last year, when we were having dinner at our house, Greg said to him, "Dad, you never mention Judi's work, even though it's hanging on the walls right now." Dad, in a thoroughly disgusted voice, said, "What the hell should I say? WOW! AMAZING! INCREDIBLE!" Greg almost punched him out.

I recognize that it's my own expectations that keep letting me down, that expecting anything from my father is a fools' errand, but somehow I'm still always surprised when he chooses ugliness, suspicion, and disinterest over his own daughter. I'm the one left feeling guilty when I refuse to see him, even though I know perfectly well that he's making the decision for both of us.

Anyway, that's enough bitching and wallowing for one day. It's a beautiful day and I'm going to get outside and put all that vitamin D to good use.

my mom's dad was a jerk very much like yours.
she let go of worrying about their relationship after one too many of his episodes of disrespect. it lightened her load. but, when he died, she did have some feelings of guilt, but that didn't last long. it takes two to love and have a relationship, you know?
anyway, i'm so sorry, judi


Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next