[ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Japan - RichardPrins - May 28, 2015 - 11:37pm
 
What Did You Have For Breakfast? - ScottFromWyoming - May 28, 2015 - 10:59pm
 
Obama's Second Term - Steely_D - May 28, 2015 - 10:36pm
 
What are you doing RIGHT NOW? - Steely_D - May 28, 2015 - 10:26pm
 
Sunrise, Sunset - Coaxial - May 28, 2015 - 10:13pm
 
Texas News - kurtster - May 28, 2015 - 9:41pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - Marcus_Howser - May 28, 2015 - 9:41pm
 
Name My Band - haresfur - May 28, 2015 - 6:50pm
 
• • •  BACON • • •  - ScottFromWyoming - May 28, 2015 - 6:49pm
 
Facebook Tips - ScottFromWyoming - May 28, 2015 - 6:34pm
 
How's the weather? - Steve - May 28, 2015 - 4:36pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - kurtster - May 28, 2015 - 4:12pm
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Prodigal_SOB - May 28, 2015 - 2:41pm
 
Tech & Science - kurtster - May 28, 2015 - 2:29pm
 
Classical Music - Alexandra - May 28, 2015 - 2:25pm
 
France - AliGator - May 28, 2015 - 2:24pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - kurtster - May 28, 2015 - 2:23pm
 
The Image Post - VV - May 28, 2015 - 12:54pm
 
WTF??!! - oldviolin - May 28, 2015 - 11:45am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - oldviolin - May 28, 2015 - 11:35am
 
The House I Want (Today) - Proclivities - May 28, 2015 - 10:52am
 
What is Humanity's best invention? - LowPhreak - May 28, 2015 - 10:46am
 
Oklahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - May 28, 2015 - 10:41am
 
2016 Elections - Red_Dragon - May 28, 2015 - 9:53am
 
Rules to Live By - winter - May 28, 2015 - 8:24am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - May 28, 2015 - 8:16am
 
Drones - RichardPrins - May 28, 2015 - 7:30am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - lily34 - May 28, 2015 - 7:19am
 
Amazing animals! - Coaxial - May 28, 2015 - 7:08am
 
Anthrax - RichardPrins - May 28, 2015 - 6:45am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - May 28, 2015 - 6:44am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - May 28, 2015 - 6:28am
 
Bill, it's about the funk - RPeeps Mandate? - lily34 - May 28, 2015 - 6:22am
 
Animation - RichardPrins - May 28, 2015 - 6:13am
 
Things You Thought Today - triskele - May 28, 2015 - 5:22am
 
Propaganda - RichardPrins - May 28, 2015 - 2:27am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - Coaxial - May 27, 2015 - 9:02pm
 
You Fail ! - Beaker - May 27, 2015 - 5:58pm
 
The All-Things Beatles Forum - Rod - May 27, 2015 - 5:20pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - May 27, 2015 - 3:56pm
 
Nebraska, anyone? - RichardPrins - May 27, 2015 - 3:11pm
 
Favorite Quotes - RichardPrins - May 27, 2015 - 1:35pm
 
The List of Reasons Why Schlabby Hates People - oldviolin - May 27, 2015 - 1:35pm
 
What Are You Grateful For? - oldviolin - May 27, 2015 - 1:33pm
 
Climate Change - kurtster - May 27, 2015 - 1:19pm
 
What's on SFW's PSD? - ScottFromWyoming - May 27, 2015 - 12:41pm
 
Word - RichardPrins - May 27, 2015 - 12:14pm
 
The Burrito Chronicles - ScottFromWyoming - May 27, 2015 - 11:48am
 
Ireland - Proclivities - May 27, 2015 - 11:47am
 
Business as Usual - RichardPrins - May 27, 2015 - 11:33am
 
Game of Thrones - marko86 - May 27, 2015 - 11:27am
 
Radiohead - Proclivities - May 27, 2015 - 10:56am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - RichardPrins - May 27, 2015 - 10:27am
 
Free Mp3s - RichardPrins - May 27, 2015 - 10:11am
 
Those Lovable Policemen - RichardPrins - May 27, 2015 - 9:28am
 
Learn something every day - Proclivities - May 27, 2015 - 9:10am
 
Celebrity Face Recognition - lily34 - May 27, 2015 - 8:40am
 
Grammar Question - Proclivities - May 27, 2015 - 6:26am
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - islander - May 27, 2015 - 6:25am
 
What makes you smile? - Red_Dragon - May 27, 2015 - 4:49am
 
Private messages in a public forum - MsJudi - May 26, 2015 - 8:15pm
 
Economix - RichardPrins - May 26, 2015 - 8:05pm
 
Food - Manbird - May 26, 2015 - 7:49pm
 
::Tattoo Artist:: - Manbird - May 26, 2015 - 7:40pm
 
Other Medical Stuff - bokey - May 26, 2015 - 7:24pm
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - Manbird - May 26, 2015 - 7:18pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Manbird - May 26, 2015 - 7:14pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - Alexandra - May 26, 2015 - 7:08pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - May 26, 2015 - 4:16pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - BlueHeronDruid - May 26, 2015 - 3:35pm
 
Little known information...maybe even facts - aflanigan - May 26, 2015 - 2:27pm
 
Out the window - Proclivities - May 26, 2015 - 12:28pm
 
OUR CATS!! - DaveInVA - May 26, 2015 - 12:08pm
 
Do People Really Get What They Deserve? - ScottFromWyoming - May 26, 2015 - 12:02pm
 
looking for a song - a long shot - horacebork - May 26, 2015 - 9:01am
 
(a public service of RP)
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Caretakers Of Our Parents Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Post to this Topic
Alexandra

Alexandra Avatar

Location: PNW
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Libra
Chinese Yr: Horse


Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 12:32pm

Note to self: DO NOT mention the prices of expensive things like apartments, cars, etc. to a demented parent whose concept of money/value/inflation over time disintegrated in the 90s. It just opens up a big can of WORRY for her.
 
 
I should've just lied. "A hundred dollars a month, Mom. That's my rent."
GeneP59
PROUD 2 B FROM BOSTON!
GeneP59 Avatar

Location: On the edge of tomorrow looking back at yesterday.
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rat


Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 11:39am

 Alexandra wrote:
And then an extra-long hug, because who knows when/if I will see her again.
 
Last Hug Goodbye 

 
{#Cry}  Nice!  {#Hug}
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Jan 18, 2015 - 7:49pm

 Alexandra wrote:
Photos from my holiday visits with Mom in her facility...I was so grateful for the long string of lucid days Mom had (with her mild dementia)...I took her for drives in the country, walked her to a lookout over a gorge/waterfall, spent hours watching old movies and eating home-cooked meals with her...and talking with her friends. It was a blessed visit, and I'm glad the airlines dictated me staying for a full 2 weeks. I didn't know if Mom would survive the winter, and I wanted to savor her presence as much as possible.
 

 
 
It was a 3-sister afternoon one Sunday....one of whom cut and styled Mom's hair
 
3 Sister Afternoon with Mom
 
 
And then on my last night with her...another big sister and I brought her dinner and spent all day with her
 
Dinner with Mom
 
 
And then an extra-long hug, because who knows when/if I will see her again.
 
Last Hug Goodbye 

 
So wonderful, Alex. {#Hug}
haresfur
I get around
haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle Australia
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 18, 2015 - 7:36pm

 Alexandra wrote:

 
Dinner with Mom
 
I see where you get your smile {#Good-vibes}
Red_Dragon
y ddraig goch ddyry gychwyn
Red_Dragon Avatar

Location: Jesusland


Posted: Jan 18, 2015 - 7:18pm

 Alexandra wrote:
Photos from my holiday visits with Mom in her facility...I was so grateful for the long string of lucid days Mom had (with her mild dementia)...I took her for drives in the country, walked her to a lookout over a gorge/waterfall, spent hours watching old movies and eating home-cooked meals with her...and talking with her friends. It was a blessed visit, and I'm glad the airlines dictated me staying for a full 2 weeks. I didn't know if Mom would survive the winter, and I wanted to savor her presence as much as possible.
 

 
 
It was a 3-sister afternoon one Sunday....one of whom cut and styled Mom's hair
 
3 Sister Afternoon with Mom
 
 
And then on my last night with her...another big sister and I brought her dinner and spent all day with her
 
Dinner with Mom
 
 
And then an extra-long hug, because who knows when/if I will see her again.
 
Last Hug Goodbye 

 
{#Good-vibes}
Alexandra

Alexandra Avatar

Location: PNW
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Libra
Chinese Yr: Horse


Posted: Jan 18, 2015 - 7:06pm

Photos from my holiday visits with Mom in her facility...I was so grateful for the long string of lucid days Mom had (with her mild dementia)...I took her for drives in the country, walked her to a lookout over a gorge/waterfall, spent hours watching old movies and eating home-cooked meals with her...and talking with her friends. It was a blessed visit, and I'm glad the airlines dictated me staying for a full 2 weeks. I didn't know if Mom would survive the winter, and I wanted to savor her presence as much as possible.
 

 
 
It was a 3-sister afternoon one Sunday....one of whom cut and styled Mom's hair
 
3 Sister Afternoon with Mom
 
 
And then on my last night with her...another big sister and I brought her dinner and spent all day with her
 
Dinner with Mom
 
 
And then an extra-long hug, because who knows when/if I will see her again.
 
Last Hug Goodbye 
islander
Dog is my copilot
islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Scorpio
Chinese Yr: Cock


Posted: Jan 3, 2015 - 10:27am

 MsJudi wrote:

Thank you! {#Kiss}

We're gonna go see a lawyer this week, wish us luck. I am more than confused about all this crap.

 
here's the bit from the Dallas county court:

Only a licensed attorney may represent a third person or entity in a judicial proceeding in the State of Texas. In most probate or guardianship cases, an individual applicant is not truly representing only himself, rather he or she is attempting to represent another person or persons such as beneficiaries, heirs, or the estate itself. Unless the applicant is a licensed attorney, filing an application to probate a will without an attorney constitutes the unauthorized practice of law and will not be allowed by the Court. In certain limited circumstances a person may act without an attorney. For more information please contact an attorney or one of the courts. 

I was able to do this in Dallas with no trouble at all.  
islander
Dog is my copilot
islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Scorpio
Chinese Yr: Cock


Posted: Jan 3, 2015 - 10:24am

 BlueHeronDruid wrote:

Right. So you have to submit the will to get the court's approval as executor. Pretty much everything else you can do yourself. Let me know if I can help you.

 
My mom died in Dallas and I faced the same "have to be a licensed attorney" thing. But her estate was dead simple (thanks Mom!) and I already had control of pretty much everything, so I just went in to the court clerk and filed the will with them.  The only thing that was somewhat odd was her car title, but I found a stamp with her signature in her stuff and we just backdated the title and sold it to a cousin.

Judy - How much of an estate is there and how many people have legitimate claims to it. It might be easier to just get everyone together and discuss it (I don't know how your family is, this may not be doable). The death certificates should come from the coroner (they made me a dozen extra copies with a simple ask). That will let close out stuff. If you were a signer on the bank account, that should persist.  If the family in't expecting much and there isn't real property to handle you won't need to do a lot of the probate stuff. You'll be below the income tax limits and if no one is arguing over stuff it might be easier just to handle it outside the court (still file the death certificate and will). 

I'd be happy to PM/e-mail my experiences. If it's not a big or contentious estate, you shouldn't need much if any lawyer time.
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 9:04pm

 BlueHeronDruid wrote:

Right. So you have to submit the will to get the court's approval as executor. Pretty much everything else you can do yourself. Let me know if I can help you.

 
Thank you! {#Kiss}

We're gonna go see a lawyer this week, wish us luck. I am more than confused about all this crap.
BlueHeronDruid

BlueHeronDruid Avatar



Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 6:33pm

 MsJudi wrote:

Yes, me. He has a will.

 
Right. So you have to submit the will to get the court's approval as executor. Pretty much everything else you can do yourself. Let me know if I can help you.
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 6:30pm

 BlueHeronDruid wrote:

PM for U. Did he name an executor? or did he die without a will?

 
Yes, me. He has a will.
BlueHeronDruid

BlueHeronDruid Avatar



Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 5:59pm

 MsJudi wrote:
Now that dad has died, we're having no end of problems with "probate", so here's what we've learned so far that may help those of you taking care of your parents. These are things we wish we'd known BEFORE Dad died.

~ For one, your powers of attorney end with your parent's death. Even if you have the POA for your parents, once they've died, you are no longer recognized in any legal way.
~ Here's something really important: GET YOUR NAME ON YOUR PARENT'S BANK ACCOUNT. Not just as the POA holder, but as if that account belongs to you AND your parent. My name was on my dad's account so I could write checks for his expenses and use his debit card for his eye doctor, etc, but now all of that has ended, and although there's only a few thousand dollars in his account- money we need to cremate him and deal with the rest of the business of dying costs- we can't touch it. His cremation and all the other expenses will be coming out of our own pocket, an expense we never counted on.
~ In some states, maybe in all of them, if there's even a few hundred dollars left in 'the estate" and you are not co-owner of the account, you must file the will in probate court, and you cannot do that yourself- only a lawyer can do that! The one we contacted today told us he charged 1000 for a retainer, and 250/hour. At that rate, all of the money left in dad's estate will go to lawyers, period.
~ Buy your parent life insurance and name yourself or a sibling as beneficiary. If we had only known to do that, the insurance would pay the funeral home. We (wrongly!) assumed that we could pay that expense out of his bank account and we can't. The cost of a basic cremation is about 2500.00. Folks, that only includes a few copies of the death certificate (you'll need about 8 of them) and a cardboard box. Plan accordingly when buying insurance, depending on the type of burial/service/coffin/etc you and your parent wants.

As we learn more, I'll post it here.

 
PM for U. Did he name an executor? or did he die without a will?
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 5:52pm

 haresfur wrote:

So sorry for all the complications. I don't know if it is the same where you are but when my mother died my brother was executor of the will and could manage the estate prior to probate so he could pay the expenses.  He could sell the property and distribute the estate. Since we all get along and supported each other through the process (worth far more than the money IMO), we just split everything up and didn't 'finalize' everything through probate. The only reason for probate would have been if there was some disagreement.

 
In the US? Which state?
haresfur
I get around
haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle Australia
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 5:27pm

 MsJudi wrote:
Now that dad has died, we're having no end of problems with "probate", so here's what we've learned so far that may help those of you taking care of your parents. These are things we wish we'd known BEFORE Dad died.

~ For one, your powers of attorney end with your parent's death. Even if you have the POA for your parents, once they've died, you are no longer recognized in any legal way.
~ Here's something really important: GET YOUR NAME ON YOUR PARENT'S BANK ACCOUNT. Not just as the POA holder, but as if that account belongs to you AND your parent. My name was on my dad's account so I could write checks for his expenses and use his debit card for his eye doctor, etc, but now all of that has ended, and although there's only a few thousand dollars in his account- money we need to cremate him and deal with the rest of the business of dying costs- we can't touch it. His cremation and all the other expenses will be coming out of our own pocket, an expense we never counted on.
~ In some states, maybe in all of them, if there's even a few hundred dollars left in 'the estate" and you are not co-owner of the account, you must file the will in probate court, and you cannot do that yourself- only a lawyer can do that! The one we contacted today told us he charged 1000 for a retainer, and 250/hour. At that rate, all of the money left in dad's estate will go to lawyers, period.
~ Buy your parent life insurance and name yourself or a sibling as beneficiary. If we had only known to do that, the insurance would pay the funeral home. We (wrongly!) assumed that we could pay that expense out of his bank account and we can't. The cost of a basic cremation is about 2500.00. Folks, that only includes a few copies of the death certificate (you'll need about 8 of them) and a cardboard box. Plan accordingly when buying insurance, depending on the type of burial/service/coffin/etc you and your parent wants.

As we learn more, I'll post it here.

 
So sorry for all the complications. I don't know if it is the same where you are but when my mother died my brother was executor of the will and could manage the estate prior to probate so he could pay the expenses.  He could sell the property and distribute the estate. Since we all get along and supported each other through the process (worth far more than the money IMO), we just split everything up and didn't 'finalize' everything through probate. The only reason for probate would have been if there was some disagreement.
MsJudi
She knew it was time to exceed herself.
MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Capricorn
Chinese Yr: Rabbit


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 5:07pm

Now that dad has died, we're having no end of problems with "probate", so here's what we've learned so far that may help those of you taking care of your parents. These are things we wish we'd known BEFORE Dad died.

~ For one, your powers of attorney end with your parent's death. Even if you have the POA for your parents, once they've died, you are no longer recognized in any legal way.
~ Here's something really important: GET YOUR NAME ON YOUR PARENT'S BANK ACCOUNT. Not just as the POA holder, but as if that account belongs to you AND your parent. My name was on my dad's account so I could write checks for his expenses and use his debit card for his eye doctor, etc, but now all of that has ended, and although there's only a few thousand dollars in his account- money we need to cremate him and deal with the rest of the business of dying costs- we can't touch it. His cremation and all the other expenses will be coming out of our own pocket, an expense we never counted on.
~ In some states, maybe in all of them, if there's even a few hundred dollars left in 'the estate" and you are not co-owner of the account, you must file the will in probate court, and you cannot do that yourself- only a lawyer can do that! The one we contacted today told us he charged 1000 for a retainer, and 250/hour. At that rate, all of the money left in dad's estate will go to lawyers, period.
~ Buy your parent life insurance and name yourself or a sibling as beneficiary. If we had only known to do that, the insurance would pay the funeral home. We (wrongly!) assumed that we could pay that expense out of his bank account and we can't. The cost of a basic cremation is about 2500.00. Folks, that only includes a few copies of the death certificate (you'll need about 8 of them) and a cardboard box. Plan accordingly when buying insurance, depending on the type of burial/service/coffin/etc you and your parent wants.

As we learn more, I'll post it here.


Alexandra

Alexandra Avatar

Location: PNW
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Libra
Chinese Yr: Horse


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 2:26pm

 marko86 wrote:
Going to visit my mother for 4-5 days tomorrow. Had to put in an internet connection so I can work from there on occasions. Since we had the internet connection, I set up a wireless camera in the living room/kitchen, to check in on her.On one hand, it could be seen as creepy, but it is really there to help keep an eye on her. I did trip up my Niece when I texted her that she missed a spot vacuuming.

 
 

 
 
We were tempted to put a "nanny cam" in our mom's room at Elmcroft, because there was a "Nurse Ratchet" there who was terse and a little mean with her—right in front of us! Made us wonder how she was when no one was around. But that woman is gone now, thank goodness. Now all the staff seem outstanding.
 
Very grateful it has all worked out so far (it's been nearly 10 months).
bokey
Bokey
bokey Avatar

Location: No place for the weary kind
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 11:14am

 marko86 wrote:
Going to visit my mother for 4-5 days tomorrow. Had to put in an internet connection so I can work from there on occasions. Since we had the internet connection, I set up a wireless camera in the living room/kitchen, to check in on her.On one hand, it could be seen as creepy, but it is really there to help keep an eye on her. I did trip up my Niece when I texted her that she missed a spot vacuuming.

 
I'm going to do that once Pops can stand up on his own.That way instead of crawling out from under the warm covers and getting agitated at 3 in the morning checking on him I can just roll over,take a peek at my laptop screen and back to {#Sleep}  I go.
marko86

marko86 Avatar

Location: North TX
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Taurus
Chinese Yr: Horse


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 10:58am

Going to visit my mother for 4-5 days tomorrow. Had to put in an internet connection so I can work from there on occasions. Since we had the internet connection, I set up a wireless camera in the living room/kitchen, to check in on her.On one hand, it could be seen as creepy, but it is really there to help keep an eye on her. I did trip up my Niece when I texted her that she missed a spot vacuuming.
haresfur
I get around
haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle Australia
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 9:58am

 Alexandra wrote:
It'll be another day with Mom today - and I'm bringing her a home cooked lunch of chicken parmesan and fresh steamed veggies.

 
{#Good-vibes}
Alexandra

Alexandra Avatar

Location: PNW
Gender: Female
Zodiac: Libra
Chinese Yr: Horse


Posted: Jan 2, 2015 - 6:29am

It'll be another day with Mom today - and I'm bringing her a home cooked lunch of chicken parmesan and fresh steamed veggies.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next