[ ]      [ ]   [ ]

What are you doing RIGHT NOW? - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 4, 2015 - 7:12pm
 
Trump - RichardPrins - Aug 4, 2015 - 7:05pm
 
Capitalism and Consumerism... now what? - Red_Dragon - Aug 4, 2015 - 7:04pm
 
The Image Post - Lazy8 - Aug 4, 2015 - 7:02pm
 
What did you have for dinner? - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 4, 2015 - 6:30pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - n4ku - Aug 4, 2015 - 6:21pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - BlueHeronDruid - Aug 4, 2015 - 5:55pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Aug 4, 2015 - 5:00pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Beaker - Aug 4, 2015 - 4:53pm
 
Kongos getting tons of airplay on broadcast radio - RichardPrins - Aug 4, 2015 - 4:46pm
 
Animal Resistance - Prodigal_SOB - Aug 4, 2015 - 4:20pm
 
Show us your NEW _______________!!!! - Coaxial - Aug 4, 2015 - 3:56pm
 
What Are You Grateful For? - Coaxial - Aug 4, 2015 - 3:54pm
 
Things You Thought Today - Beaker - Aug 4, 2015 - 3:46pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - Red_Dragon - Aug 4, 2015 - 3:32pm
 
Unusual News - Beaker - Aug 4, 2015 - 2:12pm
 
Beer - miamizsun - Aug 4, 2015 - 1:34pm
 
The War on Women - RichardPrins - Aug 4, 2015 - 1:30pm
 
Jumping into the snake pit - Beez - Aug 4, 2015 - 12:33pm
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Aug 4, 2015 - 10:51am
 
Food - Sean-E-Sean - Aug 4, 2015 - 10:18am
 
Unquiet Minds - Mental Health Forum - Red_Dragon - Aug 4, 2015 - 10:14am
 
How's the weather? - black321 - Aug 4, 2015 - 9:39am
 
Best Song Comments. - ptooey - Aug 4, 2015 - 8:54am
 
Favorite Quotes - Antigone - Aug 4, 2015 - 8:47am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - RichardPrins - Aug 4, 2015 - 7:05am
 
2016 Elections - RichardPrins - Aug 4, 2015 - 6:53am
 
Tomato Gardens - haresfur - Aug 4, 2015 - 12:35am
 
The Cowboy is Back - bokey - Aug 3, 2015 - 8:00pm
 
Gardeners Photos - kctomato - Aug 3, 2015 - 4:42pm
 
~*Funny Cats*~ - kurtster - Aug 3, 2015 - 1:52pm
 
Name My Band - Antigone - Aug 3, 2015 - 12:23pm
 
WikiLeaks - RichardPrins - Aug 3, 2015 - 12:06pm
 
Sweet horrible irony. - Proclivities - Aug 3, 2015 - 10:25am
 
Bad News / Good News - Proclivities - Aug 3, 2015 - 10:20am
 
Will you drive this car for dating with ur girl? - Proclivities - Aug 3, 2015 - 9:53am
 
Summer vacation plans? - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 3, 2015 - 9:22am
 
HTML5 RP Widget - lanceasimon - Aug 3, 2015 - 9:04am
 
What Did You Have For Breakfast? - triskele - Aug 3, 2015 - 8:22am
 
Art Show - Proclivities - Aug 3, 2015 - 7:08am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - triskele - Aug 3, 2015 - 6:45am
 
Free Mp3s - Proclivities - Aug 3, 2015 - 6:28am
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - miamizsun - Aug 3, 2015 - 5:28am
 
OUR CATS!! - 2cats - Aug 3, 2015 - 3:30am
 
What's on YOUR PSD right now ? - otaznick - Aug 3, 2015 - 1:37am
 
What makes you smile? - Alexandra - Aug 2, 2015 - 9:12pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - Prodigal_SOB - Aug 2, 2015 - 8:06pm
 
Spambags on RP - BillG - Aug 2, 2015 - 6:09pm
 
• • • What Makes You Happy? • • •  - bokey - Aug 2, 2015 - 5:31pm
 
Fantasy Football, anyone? - bokey - Aug 2, 2015 - 3:20pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - RichardPrins - Aug 2, 2015 - 11:06am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - Lazy8 - Aug 2, 2015 - 10:28am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - oldviolin - Aug 2, 2015 - 9:58am
 
WTF??!! - bokey - Aug 2, 2015 - 9:50am
 
Dance with me - Red_Dragon - Aug 2, 2015 - 8:26am
 
The power of nightmares - Red_Dragon - Aug 2, 2015 - 8:19am
 
Happy Anniversary! - Alexandra - Aug 2, 2015 - 7:54am
 
What Makes You Sad? - miamizsun - Aug 2, 2015 - 7:50am
 
Relationships... - kurtster - Aug 2, 2015 - 7:46am
 
Poetry Forum - Antigone - Aug 1, 2015 - 4:23pm
 
What did you have for lunch? - triskele - Aug 1, 2015 - 11:57am
 
Films you're excited about. - Steve - Aug 1, 2015 - 9:53am
 
More cuteness - Antigone - Aug 1, 2015 - 9:12am
 
Lyrics in RPHD images? - tomcool - Aug 1, 2015 - 7:33am
 
Things that make you go Hmmmm..... - Proclivities - Aug 1, 2015 - 6:36am
 
Celebrity Deaths - sirdroseph - Aug 1, 2015 - 6:35am
 
Republican Wingnut Freak of the Day - sirdroseph - Aug 1, 2015 - 5:28am
 
Local Scandals, politics and news - Proclivities - Aug 1, 2015 - 4:14am
 
ENGLAND calling - oldviolin - Jul 31, 2015 - 10:56pm
 
Things I Saw Today... - bokey - Jul 31, 2015 - 8:16pm
 
RightWingNutZ - RichardPrins - Jul 31, 2015 - 6:35pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Jul 31, 2015 - 5:26pm
 
ouchies - Antigone - Jul 31, 2015 - 4:45pm
 
Drones - Red_Dragon - Jul 31, 2015 - 3:07pm
 
Podcast recommendations??? - miamizsun - Jul 31, 2015 - 1:56pm
 
(a public service of RP)
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Guns Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 394, 395, 396  Next
Post to this Topic
sirdroseph
Endeavor to Perservere
sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Sagittarius
Chinese Yr: Dragon


Posted: Jul 24, 2015 - 10:16am

 Lazy8 wrote:
 Red_Dragon wrote:
Maybe guns should be taxed as well. Especially when the cost of gun violence is considered.

Exactly. If The State becomes what you fear it will and decides to send us all to the FEMA camps they'll do it regardless of the number of guns we do or don't own.

I know I'll never change your mind on this, peace - out.

If you want to change my mind you have to understand what that mind is thinking, by listening to what it's saying.

You seem to be assuming some opinions/fears on my part that don't exist. I'm not worried about black helicopters or FEMA camps. I am afraid of arbitrary laws enforced by time-serving bureaucrats. I'm afraid of governments assuming more and more power. That isn't something I'm afraid will happen, it already has. There are already way too many excuses to kick people's doors down, already too many excuses to mark them as menaces to society, already too many ways to ruin them financially, emotionally, socially. Too many people in jail.

Guns are already taxed. So is ammo. Some of these taxes have been in place for almost a century.

You want to do something about "gun violence" (I guess all other forms of violence are ok, or maybe you'll get to those later)—fine. Do something. But why is it that the only thing anyone ever seems to think of doing is imposing more burdens and risks on people who aren't part of the problem?

Is it really because you think it will be effective—despite all the evidence to the contrary—or is it just that you want the government to enforce your fear/hatred/animus?

If you really want to reduce the level of violence in our society (something that is happening all by itself, generally without the imposition of new laws) then try applying a little more creativity. Think outside the prison cell. Think about ways to put fewer people in situations where they turn to violence. Think about reforming sentencing laws. Think about making the police less violent and more helpful so people won't be afraid to turn to them. Think about making seeking psychological help more appealing to the people who need it rather than marking them for life.

Think about turning fewer people into criminals, not more.

 

Maybe I will just continue to bump this post when appropriate, can't really improve on this idea.{#Clap}
Red_Dragon
y ddraig goch ddyry gychwyn
Red_Dragon Avatar

Location: Republican Jesusland


Posted: Jul 24, 2015 - 9:55am

yet another example of responsible gun ownership...
oldviolin
ab origine
oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Leo


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 4:27pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:

If we're going to start waxing philosophical... when you get right down to it there are two things that motivate humans: love and fear. I'm trying hard to cleave to the former.

 
Interestingly, the word you chose to use as meaning to remain faithful has of course another definition which is to split or divide by a cutting blow. It is so hard to grasp sometimes; how a murderous heart can rule an otherwise healthy individual...murder being the ultimate expression of fear and hatred...And love? Who's to say what love can do unless you allow it into your heart?


Red_Dragon
y ddraig goch ddyry gychwyn
Red_Dragon Avatar

Location: Republican Jesusland


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 12:44pm

 miamizsun wrote:

there are several issues

misusing guns is a symptom

licensing owners/users with guns or cars doesn't guarantee favorable results

plenty of horrible drivers, abuses and fatalities

same with guns, drugs, moral behavior, etc

if we are talking about root causes (imho) we should start by addressing the violent conditioning in our culture

what incentive or motivation does someone have to initiate violence on another peaceful person? or not?

seems our culture is steeped from cradle to grave in the belief that initiating violence is the way to solve problems

politicians love wars on stuff and the masses clamor to be saved from evil

coercion for the greater good

 
If we're going to start waxing philosophical... when you get right down to it there are two things that motivate humans: love and fear. I'm trying hard to cleave to the former.
Lazy8
human
Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 12:44pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Maybe guns should be taxed as well. Especially when the cost of gun violence is considered.

Exactly. If The State becomes what you fear it will and decides to send us all to the FEMA camps they'll do it regardless of the number of guns we do or don't own.

I know I'll never change your mind on this, peace - out.

If you want to change my mind you have to understand what that mind is thinking, by listening to what it's saying.

You seem to be assuming some opinions/fears on my part that don't exist. I'm not worried about black helicopters or FEMA camps. I am afraid of arbitrary laws enforced by time-serving bureaucrats. I'm afraid of governments assuming more and more power. That isn't something I'm afraid will happen, it already has. There are already way too many excuses to kick people's doors down, already too many excuses to mark them as menaces to society, already too many ways to ruin them financially, emotionally, socially. Too many people in jail.

Guns are already taxed. So is ammo. Some of these taxes have been in place for almost a century.

You want to do something about "gun violence" (I guess all other forms of violence are ok, or maybe you'll get to those later)—fine. Do something. But why is it that the only thing anyone ever seems to think of doing is imposing more burdens and risks on people who aren't part of the problem?

Is it really because you think it will be effective—despite all the evidence to the contrary—or is it just that you want the government to enforce your fear/hatred/animus?

If you really want to reduce the level of violence in our society (something that is happening all by itself, generally without the imposition of new laws) then try applying a little more creativity. Think outside the prison cell. Think about ways to put fewer people in situations where they turn to violence. Think about reforming sentencing laws. Think about making the police less violent and more helpful so people won't be afraid to turn to them. Think about making seeking psychological help more appealing to the people who need it rather than marking them for life.

Think about turning fewer people into criminals, not more.


oldviolin
ab origine
oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Leo


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 12:28pm

 miamizsun wrote:

there are several issues

misusing guns is a symptom

licensing owners/users with guns or cars doesn't guarantee favorable results

plenty of horrible drivers, abuses and fatalities

same with guns, drugs, moral behavior, etc

if we are talking about root causes (imho) we should start by addressing the violent conditioning in our culture

what incentive or motivation does someone have to initiate violence on another peaceful person? or not?

seems our culture is steeped from cradle to grave in the belief that initiating violence is the way to solve problems

politicians love wars on stuff and the masses clamor to be saved from evil

coercion for the greater good

 
Oh wait! So you're saying that everything under the sun should be available to people, and that choice should always be unlimited and the bad will eventually push a higher good because humanity is basically good to begin with? Or, that by giving over to a control entity that responsibility, man will utilize better self control. You know, it would be real easy at that point for deception to rule. Seems like I read stories about that kind of thing.

Hey, I just solved the chicken/egg thing. The egg was here first because it contained everything the chicken was going to be, but not what the chicken chose for sustenance when eventually there were no choices except what it was allowed. In the end you could argue that it either starved to death or was eaten itself.

The choices we make as individuals in the human race count for infinitely more than the man-made numbers reveal...

The saying goes; "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Seems they always have, one and the other.

I think it might go "Guns don't kill people, poverty of the spirit kills people, making so grey the line between a good choice and a bad choice that one seems like the other.

Kahlil Gibran describes it this way in The Wanderer:

Garments

Upon a day Beauty and Ugliness met on the shore of a sea. And they said to one another, "Let us bathe in the sea."

Then they disrobed and swam in the waters. And after a while Ugliness came back to shore and garmented himself with the garments of Beauty and walked away.

And Beauty too came out of the sea, and found not her raiment, and she was too shy to be naked, therefore she dressed herself with the raiment of Ugliness. And Beauty walked her way.

And to this very day men and women mistake the one for the other.

Yet some there are who have beheld the face of Beauty, and they know her notwithstanding her garments. And some there be who know the face of Ugliness, and the cloth conceals him not from their eyes.


{#Good-vibes}




RichardPrins
Ni dieu ni maître
RichardPrins Avatar



Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 12:06pm

 ScottN wrote:
If true, and I suspect it is, this "fact" becomes a very powerful driver for keeping weapons (especially highly lethal weapons)  as unavailable as possible.  Nuclear arms right down to assault weapons with 100 round canister or banana clips.  We can still have our shotguns/rifles for hunting, or  handguns for personal protection. 

What social engineering might accomplish is to create a (admittedly somewhat utopian) society where there are fewer reasons to be worried about preservation, and which do not systemically create anger and frustration (e.g. inequality in various arenas of life).
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 12:04pm

 RichardPrins wrote:

Violence is a symptom (of deep-seated anger/frustration or simply preservation). You're not likely to remove it from our species through any form of social engineering. Fight or flight.

 
"The fight-or-flight response (also called the fight, flight, freeze, or fawn response PTSD>, hyperarousal, or the acute stress response) is a physiological reaction that occurs in response to a perceived harmful event, attack, or threat to survival."

reacting to violence is legitimate (hopefully in a less than lethal way)

i'm concerned with the initiation of violence on peaceful people

regards

ScottN
"Thought for today" has been postponed until tomorrow.
ScottN Avatar

Location: An inch above the K/T boundary. But smth near fracking still has appeal.
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aries
Chinese Yr: Buffalo


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 11:54am

 miamizsun wrote:

there are several issues

misusing guns is a symptom

...
 
Overly simplistic, imo.  Just as reasonable to say "misusing guns is the result of malevolent intent to achieve lethal goals."

Not reasonable?  To do nothing.
ScottN
"Thought for today" has been postponed until tomorrow.
ScottN Avatar

Location: An inch above the K/T boundary. But smth near fracking still has appeal.
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aries
Chinese Yr: Buffalo


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 11:45am

 RichardPrins wrote:

Violence is a symptom (of deep-seated anger/frustration or simply preservation). You're not likely to remove it from our species through any form of social engineering. Fight or flight.

 
If true, and I suspect it is, this "fact" becomes a very powerful driver for keeping weapons (especially highly lethal weapons)  as unavailable as possible.  Nuclear arms right down to assault weapons with 100 round canister or banana clips.  We can still have our shotguns/rifles for hunting, or  handguns for personal protection.


islander
Dog is my copilot
islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Scorpio
Chinese Yr: Cock


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 11:33am

 miamizsun wrote:

there are several issues

misusing guns is a symptom

licensing owners/users with guns or cars doesn't guarantee favorable results

plenty of horrible drivers, abuses and fatalities

same with guns, drugs, moral behavior, etc

if we are talking about root causes (imho) we should start by addressing the violent conditioning in our culture

what incentive or motivation does someone have to initiate violence on another peaceful person? or not?

seems our culture is steeped from cradle to grave in the belief that initiating violence is the way to solve problems

politicians love wars on stuff and the masses clamor to be saved from evil

coercion for the greater good

 
Where do we start?  Or do we just say that since the first cave man picked up a club it's in our nature and we just have to shrug it off?
RichardPrins
Ni dieu ni maître
RichardPrins Avatar



Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 11:33am

 miamizsun wrote:
there are several issues

misusing guns is a symptom

licensing owners/users with guns or cars doesn't guarantee favorable results

plenty of horrible drivers, abuses and fatalities

same with guns, drugs, moral behavior, etc

if we are talking about root causes (imho) we should start by addressing the violent conditioning in our culture

what incentive or motivation does someone have to initiate violence on another peaceful person? or not?

seems our culture is steeped from cradle to grave in the belief that initiating violence is the way to solve problems

politicians love wars on stuff and the masses clamor to be saved from evil

coercion for the greater good
 
Violence is a symptom (of deep-seated anger/frustration or simply preservation). You're not likely to remove it from our species through any form of social engineering. Fight or flight.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 11:02am

 islander wrote:

Charged vs. convicted.

Here is where we start to have the breakdown on who should have access to guns and when it is appropriate and how we go about removing guns from people that previously were okay to posses them.   The only workable solution I see is gun registration and a lot of people have issues with that so it is always an instant "NO".

But much like the looming confederate flag issue we are witnessing. We will soon pass a threshold of public opinion and the resulting swing in restrictions will be much larger. The gun lobby really needs to step up here and offer some workable solution. 

 
there are several issues

misusing guns is a symptom

licensing owners/users with guns or cars doesn't guarantee favorable results

plenty of horrible drivers, abuses and fatalities

same with guns, drugs, moral behavior, etc

if we are talking about root causes (imho) we should start by addressing the violent conditioning in our culture

what incentive or motivation does someone have to initiate violence on another peaceful person? or not?

seems our culture is steeped from cradle to grave in the belief that initiating violence is the way to solve problems

politicians love wars on stuff and the masses clamor to be saved from evil

coercion for the greater good


islander
Dog is my copilot
islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Scorpio
Chinese Yr: Cock


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 10:57am

 Lazy8 wrote:
Red_Dragon wrote:
Cars are registered and their ownership and licensing tracked from the day they're manufactured to the day they're crushed to be recycled. One must have a state-issued license to operate them. Why are guns any different? Cars are machines designed for transportation that can be very dangerous if not operated responsibly. Guns are machines designed for killing.

Cars are registered so they can be taxed, in large part to pay for the bureaucracy that registers and taxes them, but to some extent to pay for the public roads they drive on (the vast majority of the cost of roads is paid for with fuel taxes). If it isn't driven on public roads it doesn't need to be registered at all. The registrations expire and cars change hands all the time with no paperwork.

One must have a state-issued license to drive them on public roads. Keep the car on private property and you don't need a license. Anyone—licensed to drive or not—can buy, own, or even build a car.

The state doesn't have to build or operate any facilities for people to own guns.

Registering guns (where it's done) is a very effective way of keeping lists of people who don't commit crimes with guns. We have enough lists like that. It creates yet another opportunity for someone causing no harm to anyone to be sent off to prison. We have enough laws like that too.
 
I'd be fine with an exception that let people not register guns if they were never in public space.  Keep it on private property for home defense and we're good, bring it to the pub or theater and I'd like to know that if you just got a prescription to quiet the voices in your head that some one checked to see if you have a firearm available to you. 
Red_Dragon
y ddraig goch ddyry gychwyn
Red_Dragon Avatar

Location: Republican Jesusland


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 10:46am

 Lazy8 wrote:


Cars are registered so they can be taxed, in large part to pay for the bureaucracy that registers and taxes them, but to some extent to pay for the public roads they drive on (the vast majority of the cost of roads is paid for with fuel taxes). If it isn't driven on public roads it doesn't need to be registered at all. The registrations expire and cars change hands all the time with no paperwork.

One must have a state-issued license to drive them on public roads. Keep the car on private property and you don't need a license. Anyone—licensed to drive or not—can buy, own, or even build a car.

The state doesn't have to build or operate any facilities for people to own guns.

Registering guns (where it's done) is a very effective way of keeping lists of people who don't commit crimes with guns. We have enough lists like that. It creates yet another opportunity for someone causing no harm to anyone to be sent off to prison. We have enough laws like that too.
 
Maybe guns should be taxed as well. Especially when the cost of gun violence is considered.

Exactly. If The State becomes what you fear it will and decides to send us all to the FEMA camps they'll do it regardless of the number of guns we do or don't own.

I know I'll never change your mind on this, peace - out. 
Lazy8
human
Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 10:34am

Red_Dragon wrote:
Cars are registered and their ownership and licensing tracked from the day they're manufactured to the day they're crushed to be recycled. One must have a state-issued license to operate them. Why are guns any different? Cars are machines designed for transportation that can be very dangerous if not operated responsibly. Guns are machines designed for killing.

Cars are registered so they can be taxed, in large part to pay for the bureaucracy that registers and taxes them, but to some extent to pay for the public roads they drive on (the vast majority of the cost of roads is paid for with fuel taxes). If it isn't driven on public roads it doesn't need to be registered at all. The registrations expire and cars change hands all the time with no paperwork.

One must have a state-issued license to drive them on public roads. Keep the car on private property and you don't need a license. Anyone—licensed to drive or not—can buy, own, or even build a car.

The state doesn't have to build or operate any facilities for people to own guns.

Registering guns (where it's done) is a very effective way of keeping lists of people who don't commit crimes with guns. We have enough lists like that. It creates yet another opportunity for someone causing no harm to anyone to be sent off to prison. We have enough laws like that too.

ScottN
"Thought for today" has been postponed until tomorrow.
ScottN Avatar

Location: An inch above the K/T boundary. But smth near fracking still has appeal.
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aries
Chinese Yr: Buffalo


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 10:31am

 islander wrote:

When there is finally enough pressure to overcome this kind of resistance, The move is going to be severe and we may actually see some of the confiscation stuff that people are unnecessarily worried about now. 

 
With 200M+ guns in circulation in the USA now, too many extraordinarily lethal, I think confiscation is out of the question as a practical matter.  But, even though a properly cared for weapon has a verrry long life of utility, we have to start somewhere, sometime.  I think the registration proposal (as with autos, suggested below) is a reasonable start. Now is a reasonable time.


islander
Dog is my copilot
islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Scorpio
Chinese Yr: Cock


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 10:20am

 ScottN wrote:

As the Smiths song asks: How soon is now?

When you say it's gonna happen now
Well, when exactly do you mean?
See, I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone

The people who think 100 round canisters for assault rifles is reasonable personal protection hold sway, and will for the future I am likely to experience.

 
When there is finally enough pressure to overcome this kind of resistance, The move is going to be severe and we may actually see some of the confiscation stuff that people are unnecessarily worried about now. 
ScottN
"Thought for today" has been postponed until tomorrow.
ScottN Avatar

Location: An inch above the K/T boundary. But smth near fracking still has appeal.
Gender: Male
Zodiac: Aries
Chinese Yr: Buffalo


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 10:08am

 islander wrote:

Charged vs. convicted.

Here is where we start to have the breakdown on who should have access to guns and when it is appropriate and how we go about removing guns from people that previously were okay to posses them.   The only workable solution I see is gun registration and a lot of people have issues with that so it is always an instant "NO".

But much like the looming confederate flag issue we are witnessing. We will soon pass a threshold of public opinion and the resulting swing in restrictions will be much larger. The gun lobby really needs to step up here and offer some workable solution. 

 
As the Smiths song asks: How soon is now?

When you say it's gonna happen now
Well, when exactly do you mean?
See, I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone

The people who think 100 round canisters for assault rifles is reasonable personal protection hold sway, and will for the future I am likely to experience.


Red_Dragon
y ddraig goch ddyry gychwyn
Red_Dragon Avatar

Location: Republican Jesusland


Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 9:56am

 islander wrote:

Seems reasonable to me. But there are people who will say "2nd amendment" and believe that registration=confiscation (like the NSA doesn't already have a cross reference list of anyone who has ever purchased ammo...).

 
Yeah I know - I used to be one of them. While I was one of them, every Democrat elected to the white house was going to confiscate all our guns and lock us up in FEMA camps. *snore*
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 394, 395, 396  Next