Appliances! Favorites and Duds.
- Alexandra - Jul 5, 2015 - 6:29pm
Celebrity Face Recognition
- swell_sailor - Jul 5, 2015 - 6:12pm
- Alexandra - Jul 5, 2015 - 6:04pm
Triskele and The Grateful Dead
- n4ku - Jul 5, 2015 - 5:57pm
Bug Reports & Feature Requests
- BillG - Jul 5, 2015 - 4:56pm
- haresfur - Jul 5, 2015 - 3:40pm
- miamizsun - Jul 5, 2015 - 3:16pm
- JrzyTmata - Jul 5, 2015 - 2:39pm
Radio Paradise Comments
- Coaxial - Jul 5, 2015 - 2:37pm
RP Merchandise B&R WISH They Could Sell
- BillG - Jul 5, 2015 - 2:08pm
What Did You Do Today?
- DaveInVA - Jul 5, 2015 - 1:38pm
DARWIN AWARDS! - POST YOUR NOMINATION!
- DaveInVA - Jul 5, 2015 - 12:54pm
How's the weather?
- DaveInVA - Jul 5, 2015 - 12:47pm
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum
- ScottN - Jul 5, 2015 - 12:29pm
Things You Thought Today
- kurtster - Jul 5, 2015 - 12:27pm
how do you feel right now?
- bokey - Jul 5, 2015 - 12:07pm
- DaveInVA - Jul 5, 2015 - 11:02am
Is there any DOG news out there?
- bokey - Jul 5, 2015 - 10:09am
Name My Band
- Antigone - Jul 5, 2015 - 7:24am
If not RP, what are you listening to right now?
- n4ku - Jul 4, 2015 - 7:39pm
Mystery Topic #24301
- epsillion - Jul 4, 2015 - 7:15pm
Where is the airplane?
- DaveInVA - Jul 4, 2015 - 6:21pm
- haresfur - Jul 4, 2015 - 5:20pm
Hey Baby, It's The 4th O' July
- haresfur - Jul 4, 2015 - 4:44pm
- RichardPrins - Jul 4, 2015 - 1:08pm
What Makes You Laugh?
- Coaxial - Jul 4, 2015 - 12:03pm
Strips, cartoons, illustrations
- RichardPrins - Jul 4, 2015 - 11:57am
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi...
- DaveInVA - Jul 4, 2015 - 11:48am
Bad News / Good News
- Prodigal_SOB - Jul 4, 2015 - 10:29am
- DaveInVA - Jul 4, 2015 - 8:09am
Vinyl Only Spin List
- kurtster - Jul 4, 2015 - 8:02am
Counting with Pictures
- ScottN - Jul 4, 2015 - 7:51am
Spambags on RP
- BillG - Jul 4, 2015 - 7:38am
- sirdroseph - Jul 4, 2015 - 7:07am
- Antigone - Jul 4, 2015 - 5:47am
- haresfur - Jul 4, 2015 - 4:29am
- RichardPrins - Jul 3, 2015 - 10:17pm
Gotta Get Your Drink On
- bokey - Jul 3, 2015 - 10:07pm
Mixtape Culture Club
- Lazy8 - Jul 3, 2015 - 9:14pm
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously
- RichardPrins - Jul 3, 2015 - 9:03pm
Graphic designers, ho!
- haresfur - Jul 3, 2015 - 9:01pm
What can you hear right now?
- DaveInVA - Jul 3, 2015 - 7:12pm
What did you have for dinner?
- JrzyTmata - Jul 3, 2015 - 5:31pm
- - Dec 31, 1969 - 4:00pm
- RichardPrins - Jul 3, 2015 - 4:14pm
The Global War on Terror
- RichardPrins - Jul 3, 2015 - 3:44pm
- RichardPrins - Jul 3, 2015 - 3:21pm
Before and After
- Antigone - Jul 3, 2015 - 1:30pm
What Makes You Sad?
- DaveInVA - Jul 3, 2015 - 1:28pm
- oldviolin - Jul 3, 2015 - 12:18pm
First World Problems
- RichardPrins - Jul 3, 2015 - 12:12pm
- RichardPrins - Jul 3, 2015 - 11:33am
Fake Clouds or Geo Engineering ????
- ScottFromWyoming - Jul 3, 2015 - 9:49am
- Alexandra - Jul 3, 2015 - 9:33am
Photos you haven't taken of yourself
- Coaxial - Jul 3, 2015 - 8:27am
- ScottN - Jul 3, 2015 - 7:41am
Movie quotes used as life's truisms
- Antigone - Jul 3, 2015 - 6:26am
RPeep News You Should Know
- BlueHeronDruid - Jul 2, 2015 - 9:17pm
For the Joni Mitchell fanatics...
- KurtfromLaQuinta - Jul 2, 2015 - 9:06pm
- bokey - Jul 2, 2015 - 8:34pm
- RichardPrins - Jul 2, 2015 - 5:53pm
- Antigone - Jul 2, 2015 - 3:23pm
What makes you smile?
- Antigone - Jul 2, 2015 - 1:00pm
Stuff I've Said Out Loud
- Antigone - Jul 2, 2015 - 11:36am
- Steve - Jul 2, 2015 - 11:05am
Those lovable acronym guys & gals
- RichardPrins - Jul 2, 2015 - 11:00am
- Proclivities - Jul 2, 2015 - 10:36am
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD
- oldviolin - Jul 2, 2015 - 10:27am
- Antigone - Jul 2, 2015 - 8:34am
- miamizsun - Jul 2, 2015 - 8:27am
- 2cats - Jul 2, 2015 - 4:57am
Race in America
- RichardPrins - Jul 1, 2015 - 10:00pm
- Coaxial - Jul 1, 2015 - 9:47pm
Public Messages in a Private Forum
- Coaxial - Jul 1, 2015 - 9:34pm
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing
- n4ku - Jul 1, 2015 - 9:23pm
(a public service of RP)
Radio Paradise/General »
General Discussion »
Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles east of Paradise
Aug 24, 2013 - 8:20am
Just putting this here because I couldn't find a better place....
Six Tips on Writing from John Steinbeck
1.Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised.
2.Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material.
3.Forget your generalized audience. In the first place, the nameless, faceless audience will scare you to death and in the second place, unlike the theater, it doesn’t exist. In writing, your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one.
4.If a scene or a section gets the better of you and you still think you want it—bypass it and go on. When you have finished the whole you can come back to it and then you may find that the reason it gave trouble is because it didn’t belong there.
5.Beware of a scene that becomes too dear to you, dearer than the rest. It will usually be found that it is out of drawing.
6.If you are using dialogue—say it aloud as you write it. Only then will it have the sound of speech.
Nothing is fool-proof to a moderately proficient fool.
Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Feb 21, 2013 - 10:04am
Tiny starry dynamo. Hothouse orchid. In the penumbra.
Location: the one hundred eightieth meridian
May 31, 2006 - 2:31pm
Anti-publishing-scam site shut down by "agent"
A site that tracked scam artists running predatory self-publishing outfits has been shut down following a complaint to its ISP.
Absolute Write is one of the leading sites for information on publishing, including scam-debunking, and it did a very good job, too. Then Barbara Bauer, an "agent" whom the site had criticized, called up the site's ISP, Nashville's JC-Hosting, and invented a bogus Digital Millennium Copyright Claim. She told the ISP that Absolute Write had exposed her to spam by publishing her email address and that this was illegal and that the ISP had to shut down the site or be liable. This is not illegal, and it's not a DMCA claim. The ISP shut down Absolute Write anyway.
A week later, the ISP has not reinstated the site, and they are refusing to hand over Absolute Write's database so they can put the site back up somewhere else.