- Lazy8 - Apr 20, 2014 - 1:42pm
Memorials - Remembering Our Loved Ones
- MsJudi - Apr 20, 2014 - 1:24pm
Are there any network music player stereo components that...
- MsJudi - Apr 20, 2014 - 12:46pm
Things You Thought Today
- Antigone - Apr 20, 2014 - 12:18pm
- RichardPrins - Apr 20, 2014 - 12:12pm
Counting with Pictures
- Proclivities - Apr 20, 2014 - 12:11pm
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi...
- siriuss - Apr 20, 2014 - 10:37am
Radio Paradise Comments
- siriuss - Apr 20, 2014 - 10:01am
Show us your NEW _______________!!!!
- Prodigal_SOB - Apr 20, 2014 - 9:58am
What are you doing RIGHT NOW?
- Alexandra - Apr 20, 2014 - 9:49am
Bug Reports & Feature Requests
- siriuss - Apr 20, 2014 - 9:24am
- DaveInVA - Apr 20, 2014 - 9:18am
What makes you smile?
- ScottFromWyoming - Apr 20, 2014 - 8:09am
Today in History
- Red_Dragon - Apr 20, 2014 - 6:23am
- Antigone - Apr 20, 2014 - 6:09am
- haresfur - Apr 20, 2014 - 2:45am
- rolfj - Apr 20, 2014 - 1:19am
- kurtster - Apr 19, 2014 - 11:54pm
Movie rental suggestions & reviews - Netflix or Blockbuster
- buzz - Apr 19, 2014 - 9:42pm
- oldviolin - Apr 19, 2014 - 9:42pm
- ScottN - Apr 19, 2014 - 6:38pm
- RichardPrins - Apr 19, 2014 - 5:52pm
What Did You Do Today?
- Red_Dragon - Apr 19, 2014 - 4:17pm
- n4ku - Apr 19, 2014 - 1:00pm
Free Books and Free Culture Online
- RichardPrins - Apr 19, 2014 - 12:44pm
- bokey - Apr 19, 2014 - 12:21pm
Out the window
- Alexandra - Apr 19, 2014 - 10:19am
- miamizsun - Apr 19, 2014 - 9:56am
Post a photo of yourself as a kid
- miamizsun - Apr 19, 2014 - 9:47am
What's that smell?
- Alexandra - Apr 19, 2014 - 9:15am
- Antigone - Apr 19, 2014 - 8:55am
- Coaxial - Apr 19, 2014 - 7:03am
Things You Thought You Heard Out Loud
- bokey - Apr 19, 2014 - 5:04am
The Burrito Chronicles
- haresfur - Apr 18, 2014 - 11:20pm
- oldviolin - Apr 18, 2014 - 10:25pm
260,000 Posts in one thread?
- oldviolin - Apr 18, 2014 - 10:17pm
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing
- oldviolin - Apr 18, 2014 - 9:19pm
Quick! I need a chicken...
- BlueHeronDruid - Apr 18, 2014 - 8:52pm
Helpful emergency signs
- Red_Dragon - Apr 18, 2014 - 5:14pm
- kurtster - Apr 18, 2014 - 5:01pm
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes)
- islander - Apr 18, 2014 - 5:00pm
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •
- oldviolin - Apr 18, 2014 - 4:24pm
- Antigone - Apr 18, 2014 - 3:20pm
Name My Band
- n4ku - Apr 18, 2014 - 3:15pm
What Makes You Laugh?
- ScottN - Apr 18, 2014 - 1:27pm
...what is YOUR theme song for the day?...
- aflanigan - Apr 18, 2014 - 1:10pm
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum
- JustineFromWyoming - Apr 18, 2014 - 12:21pm
Great Old Songs You Rarely Hear Anymore
- KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 18, 2014 - 12:12pm
HAIR: Long, short, beautiful
- Alexandra - Apr 18, 2014 - 11:52am
- Antigone - Apr 18, 2014 - 11:07am
- Proclivities - Apr 18, 2014 - 10:35am
- sirdroseph - Apr 18, 2014 - 8:33am
Celebrity Face Recognition
- Antigone - Apr 18, 2014 - 7:33am
The War On You
- sirdroseph - Apr 18, 2014 - 4:21am
Beta Testers wanted for new Android App
- ree2k - Apr 18, 2014 - 2:47am
- Lazy8 - Apr 17, 2014 - 11:18pm
Other Medical Stuff
- DaveInVA - Apr 17, 2014 - 8:58pm
- Alexandra - Apr 17, 2014 - 8:25pm
- Proclivities - Apr 17, 2014 - 1:06pm
Little known information...maybe even facts
- miamizsun - Apr 17, 2014 - 1:02pm
What Are You Going To Do Today?
- Red_Dragon - Apr 17, 2014 - 12:51pm
- lily34 - Apr 17, 2014 - 11:43am
Private messages in a public forum
- buzz - Apr 17, 2014 - 10:09am
Ask an Atheist
- Lazy8 - Apr 17, 2014 - 10:01am
Basketball, anyone? Hello? Hello?
- islander - Apr 17, 2014 - 9:54am
Who is this band?
- Proclivities - Apr 17, 2014 - 9:49am
Lyrics that strike a chord today...
- Alexandra - Apr 17, 2014 - 9:38am
That's good advice
- Red_Dragon - Apr 17, 2014 - 9:08am
Epic Facebook Statuses
- Coaxial - Apr 17, 2014 - 8:56am
- ScottN - Apr 17, 2014 - 8:56am
HALF A WORLD
- Red_Dragon - Apr 17, 2014 - 8:44am
Phine Phound Photographs
- aflanigan - Apr 17, 2014 - 8:43am
- Antigone - Apr 17, 2014 - 8:15am
- oldviolin - Apr 17, 2014 - 7:32am
- miamizsun - Apr 17, 2014 - 7:30am
(a public service of RP)
Radio Paradise/General »
General Discussion »
Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles east of Paradise
Aug 24, 2013 - 8:20am
Just putting this here because I couldn't find a better place....
Six Tips on Writing from John Steinbeck
1.Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised.
2.Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material.
3.Forget your generalized audience. In the first place, the nameless, faceless audience will scare you to death and in the second place, unlike the theater, it doesn’t exist. In writing, your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one.
4.If a scene or a section gets the better of you and you still think you want it—bypass it and go on. When you have finished the whole you can come back to it and then you may find that the reason it gave trouble is because it didn’t belong there.
5.Beware of a scene that becomes too dear to you, dearer than the rest. It will usually be found that it is out of drawing.
6.If you are using dialogue—say it aloud as you write it. Only then will it have the sound of speech.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Feb 21, 2013 - 10:04am
Tiny starry dynamo. Hothouse orchid. In the penumbra.
Location: the one hundred eightieth meridian
May 31, 2006 - 2:31pm
Anti-publishing-scam site shut down by "agent"
A site that tracked scam artists running predatory self-publishing outfits has been shut down following a complaint to its ISP.
Absolute Write is one of the leading sites for information on publishing, including scam-debunking, and it did a very good job, too. Then Barbara Bauer, an "agent" whom the site had criticized, called up the site's ISP, Nashville's JC-Hosting, and invented a bogus Digital Millennium Copyright Claim. She told the ISP that Absolute Write had exposed her to spam by publishing her email address and that this was illegal and that the ISP had to shut down the site or be liable. This is not illegal, and it's not a DMCA claim. The ISP shut down Absolute Write anyway.
A week later, the ISP has not reinstated the site, and they are refusing to hand over Absolute Write's database so they can put the site back up somewhere else.