Counting with Pictures
- latrippa - Jan 26, 2015 - 8:21am
Things You Thought Today
- Red_Dragon - Jan 26, 2015 - 8:17am
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos; Please Limit to 510 ...
- swell_sailor - Jan 26, 2015 - 8:16am
Radio Paradise Comments
- Proclivities - Jan 26, 2015 - 7:43am
- ScottFromWyoming - Jan 26, 2015 - 7:33am
Australian and New Zealand Music
- ScottFromWyoming - Jan 26, 2015 - 7:30am
- Antigone - Jan 26, 2015 - 6:18am
What did you have for lunch?
- BlueHeronDruid - Jan 26, 2015 - 2:42am
Obama's Second Term
- sirdroseph - Jan 26, 2015 - 2:29am
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests
- Coaxial - Jan 25, 2015 - 7:43pm
- JrzyTmata - Jan 25, 2015 - 6:42pm
Meetin' in the Ladies Room
- BlueHeronDruid - Jan 25, 2015 - 6:23pm
- Red_Dragon - Jan 25, 2015 - 4:30pm
- RichardPrins - Jan 25, 2015 - 3:08pm
- RichardPrins - Jan 25, 2015 - 2:31pm
What Makes You Laugh?
- PoundPuppy - Jan 25, 2015 - 2:29pm
Pick a sport, any sport
- haresfur - Jan 25, 2015 - 2:17pm
- RichardPrins - Jan 25, 2015 - 12:30pm
- RichardPrins - Jan 25, 2015 - 11:38am
What Did You Do Today?
- triskele - Jan 25, 2015 - 11:36am
How's the weather?
- islander - Jan 25, 2015 - 11:34am
- Prodigal_SOB - Jan 25, 2015 - 11:06am
The Dragons' Roost
- triskele - Jan 25, 2015 - 9:31am
That's good advice
- JrzyTmata - Jan 25, 2015 - 8:15am
- Yonder - Jan 25, 2015 - 7:58am
Favourite Movie Scene
- Red_Dragon - Jan 25, 2015 - 7:39am
Name My Band
- Antigone - Jan 25, 2015 - 5:31am
- ScottFromWyoming - Jan 25, 2015 - 5:11am
What makes you smile?
- Steely_D - Jan 24, 2015 - 11:34pm
Bug Reports & Feature Requests
- laozilover - Jan 24, 2015 - 9:36pm
- DaveInVA - Jan 24, 2015 - 7:30pm
What's the first concert you ever went to?
- Alexandra - Jan 24, 2015 - 7:21pm
Separated At Birth...?
- Red_Dragon - Jan 24, 2015 - 7:18pm
(Big) Media Watch
- RichardPrins - Jan 24, 2015 - 6:58pm
how do you feel right now?
- Beaker - Jan 24, 2015 - 6:39pm
- oldviolin - Jan 24, 2015 - 2:10pm
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD
- oldviolin - Jan 24, 2015 - 2:06pm
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •
- oldviolin - Jan 24, 2015 - 1:56pm
- haresfur - Jan 24, 2015 - 1:45pm
Capitalism and Consumerism... now what?
- RichardPrins - Jan 24, 2015 - 1:32pm
Today in History
- DaveInVA - Jan 24, 2015 - 10:34am
Triskele and The Grateful Dead
- Alexandra - Jan 24, 2015 - 8:29am
What did you have for dinner?
- DaveInVA - Jan 24, 2015 - 8:21am
RP App for Android
- stonecrab - Jan 24, 2015 - 7:16am
Amazon Prime Members - Free Streaming of Selected Movies ...
- islander - Jan 24, 2015 - 6:47am
What's in a name?
- Proclivities - Jan 24, 2015 - 6:04am
- marko86 - Jan 24, 2015 - 5:04am
- miamizsun - Jan 24, 2015 - 4:54am
- oldviolin - Jan 23, 2015 - 9:04pm
Books read recently
- ScottN - Jan 23, 2015 - 8:42pm
Maps • Google • GeoGuessr
- thedoctork - Jan 23, 2015 - 7:55pm
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum
- geoff_morphini - Jan 23, 2015 - 6:45pm
• • • What's For Dinner ? • • •
- DaveInVA - Jan 23, 2015 - 4:35pm
- bokey - Jan 23, 2015 - 3:31pm
Strange signs, marquees, billboards, etc.
- Beaker - Jan 23, 2015 - 2:16pm
- Coaxial - Jan 23, 2015 - 1:56pm
Upcoming concerts or shows you can't wait to see
- Beaker - Jan 23, 2015 - 1:14pm
Way Cool Video
- KurtfromLaQuinta - Jan 23, 2015 - 1:05pm
- RichardPrins - Jan 23, 2015 - 12:11pm
What Makes You Sad?
- Alexandra - Jan 23, 2015 - 11:32am
- edieraye - Jan 23, 2015 - 10:55am
- Proclivities - Jan 23, 2015 - 10:50am
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi...
- bokey - Jan 23, 2015 - 9:49am
Country Up The Bumpkin
- oldviolin - Jan 23, 2015 - 9:40am
Graphic designers, ho's!
- Proclivities - Jan 23, 2015 - 9:05am
The List of Reasons Why Schlabby Hates People
- oldviolin - Jan 23, 2015 - 8:59am
- oldviolin - Jan 23, 2015 - 8:32am
Things that make you go Hmmmm.....
- Proclivities - Jan 23, 2015 - 8:09am
Little known information...maybe even facts
- Coaxial - Jan 23, 2015 - 7:43am
Is Cash Socially Unacceptable?
- aflanigan - Jan 23, 2015 - 7:16am
Make triskele smile
- Coaxial - Jan 23, 2015 - 6:47am
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously
- RichardPrins - Jan 23, 2015 - 3:00am
PSD when streaming via iTunes?
- beagle_ac - Jan 23, 2015 - 2:05am
- Coaxial - Jan 22, 2015 - 8:26pm
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing
- oldviolin - Jan 22, 2015 - 7:18pm
(a public service of RP)
Radio Paradise/General »
General Discussion »
Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles east of Paradise
Aug 24, 2013 - 8:20am
Just putting this here because I couldn't find a better place....
Six Tips on Writing from John Steinbeck
1.Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised.
2.Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material.
3.Forget your generalized audience. In the first place, the nameless, faceless audience will scare you to death and in the second place, unlike the theater, it doesn’t exist. In writing, your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one.
4.If a scene or a section gets the better of you and you still think you want it—bypass it and go on. When you have finished the whole you can come back to it and then you may find that the reason it gave trouble is because it didn’t belong there.
5.Beware of a scene that becomes too dear to you, dearer than the rest. It will usually be found that it is out of drawing.
6.If you are using dialogue—say it aloud as you write it. Only then will it have the sound of speech.
Nothing is fool-proof to a moderately proficient fool.
Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Feb 21, 2013 - 10:04am
Tiny starry dynamo. Hothouse orchid. In the penumbra.
Location: the one hundred eightieth meridian
May 31, 2006 - 2:31pm
Anti-publishing-scam site shut down by "agent"
A site that tracked scam artists running predatory self-publishing outfits has been shut down following a complaint to its ISP.
Absolute Write is one of the leading sites for information on publishing, including scam-debunking, and it did a very good job, too. Then Barbara Bauer, an "agent" whom the site had criticized, called up the site's ISP, Nashville's JC-Hosting, and invented a bogus Digital Millennium Copyright Claim. She told the ISP that Absolute Write had exposed her to spam by publishing her email address and that this was illegal and that the ISP had to shut down the site or be liable. This is not illegal, and it's not a DMCA claim. The ISP shut down Absolute Write anyway.
A week later, the ISP has not reinstated the site, and they are refusing to hand over Absolute Write's database so they can put the site back up somewhere else.