[ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Log in above to post your comment
treatment_bound
(Duluth to Madison)
Posted: May 24, 2018 12:55
 

 Tomasni wrote:
More MORE Peter Gabriel  :-) 

Here you go!

 

Image result for peter gabriel in genesis
cely
(the tropics of discourse)
Posted: May 13, 2018 15:12
 

Really love Peter Gabriel, but something about this song just goes too far.  Reminds me of the horror that was Dances with Wolves.  Modern Englishman gets inside the brain of non-European ecstatic ritual state?  Really?  So presumptuous.  It makes me want to hear a song by a Native American describing the ecstatic joy westerners feel when they go to the mall.  
Tomasni
(Stockholm, Sweden)
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 3:09
 

I am so HAPPY to hear Peter Gabriel again on RP   
More MORE Peter Gabriel  :-) 
oppositelock
(On the road)
Posted: Mar 02, 2018 21:04
 

This was on the soundtrack for the 1984 movie "Birdy".  Great movie.  Great soundtrack.

Stephen_Phillips
(Hillsborough, Northern Ireland)
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 5:44
 

 Tomasni wrote:

For me: 9 - Outstanding  :-)



 
Same for me - what was I thinking only rating this as an 8.  Bumping up from an 8 > 9.
Steely_D
(Biscayne Bay)
Posted: Feb 02, 2018 14:12
 

 easmann wrote:
'Where did this haunting song, “The Rhythm of the Heat”, come from?

Gabriel’s song is based, in large part, on psychologist C.G. Jung’s autobiographical description of a nocturnal ritual dance (the n’goma) among villagers in the Sudan (in Africa). Carl Jung (1875-1961), as you may or may not know, was an influential psychologist and student of Sigmund Freud. In the autobiographical interviews collected in Memories, Dreams, Reflections (New York: Vintage Books, 1961), Jung outlines his own fears of the local villagers in a particular area of the Sudan, that, to him, seemed less welcoming than those in previous African villages.

Sixty men, along with women and children, gathered together and lit fires before beginning what Jung labels “savage singing, drumming, and trumpeting” (p. 271). Jung expresses that “I did not know whether I ought to feel pleased or anxious about this mass display”, a statement which reveals a tension to which I turn below. So the uncomfortable Jung decided to join in the dancing, however hesitantly, and was somewhat comforted to notice the approval he received from the villagers for doing so.

As time passed, Jung reports, “the rhythm of the dance and the drumming accelerated” (p. 271). Here Jung begins to reveal his fears in noting that “the natives easily fall into a virtual state of possession. That was the case now. As eleven o’clock approached, their excitement began to get out of bounds. . . The dancers were being transformed into a wild horde, and I became worried about how it would end” (p. 271).

...

Here, then, was the “advanced” European academic in fear of having his soul stolen by the “rhythm of the heat”, and yet unable to come to terms with his own fear and unable to analyze himself fully, let alone the supposedly “primitive” villagers.'

— The story behind a song: Haunted by “The Rhythm of the Heat” (Peter Gabriel and Carl Jung)



 
It's easy to dismiss "complex, thoughtful, referential, abstract" as pretentious. Don't the bastards get you down.
mcYammer
(Beervana)
Posted: Feb 02, 2018 14:07
 

PG pretentiousness vocalizers: submit to trust, submit to a larger whole, give up your pretentions
Tomasni
(Stockholm, Sweden)
Posted: Sep 22, 2017 8:30
 

For me: 9 - Outstanding  :-)


treatment_bound
(Duluth to Madison)
Posted: Sep 11, 2017 12:46
 

Wow!  Here's a blast from about 35 years ago which I sure don't get to revisit very often.  Sounds OK!
hayduke2
(Southampton, NY)
Posted: Jul 07, 2017 9:47
 

 the movie kinda sux but the book is really interesting!

hayduke2 wrote:
The Serpent and the Rainbow is a book written by ethnobotanist and researcher Wade Davis and published in 1985. He investigated Haitian Vodou and the process of making zombies. He studied ethnobotanical poisons, discovering their use in a reported case of a contemporary zombieClairvius Narcisse.

 Serpentandtherainbow.png

 


On_The_Beach
(The Blue Planet)
Posted: Jun 11, 2017 14:04
 

Excellent song; definitely not shallow or pretentious.  {#Rolleyes}
GeorgeMWoods
Posted: Jun 06, 2017 21:55
 

Shallow. Pretentious. 
mardisoninnc
(western NC)
Posted: Apr 11, 2017 14:30
 

Never too much PG on RP, in my opinion. 
jcchristopher
(Bozeman, Montana)
Posted: Feb 09, 2017 7:57
 

Too much Peter Gabriel on RP
ScottN
(Half inch above the K/T boundary)
Posted: Dec 09, 2016 22:57
 

 easmann wrote:
'Where did this haunting song, “The Rhythm of the Heat”, come from?

Gabriel’s song is based, in large part, on psychologist C.G. Jung’s autobiographical description of a nocturnal ritual dance (the n’goma) among villagers in the Sudan (in Africa). Carl Jung (1875-1961), as you may or may not know, was an influential psychologist and student of Sigmund Freud. In the autobiographical interviews collected in Memories, Dreams, Reflections (New York: Vintage Books, 1961), Jung outlines his own fears of the local villagers in a particular area of the Sudan, that, to him, seemed less welcoming than those in previous African villages.

Sixty men, along with women and children, gathered together and lit fires before beginning what Jung labels “savage singing, drumming, and trumpeting” (p. 271). Jung expresses that “I did not know whether I ought to feel pleased or anxious about this mass display”, a statement which reveals a tension to which I turn below. So the uncomfortable Jung decided to join in the dancing, however hesitantly, and was somewhat comforted to notice the approval he received from the villagers for doing so.

As time passed, Jung reports, “the rhythm of the dance and the drumming accelerated” (p. 271). Here Jung begins to reveal his fears in noting that “the natives easily fall into a virtual state of possession. That was the case now. As eleven o’clock approached, their excitement began to get out of bounds. . . The dancers were being transformed into a wild horde, and I became worried about how it would end” (p. 271).

...

Here, then, was the “advanced” European academic in fear of having his soul stolen by the “rhythm of the heat”, and yet unable to come to terms with his own fear and unable to analyze himself fully, let alone the supposedly “primitive” villagers.'

— The story behind a song: Haunted by “The Rhythm of the Heat” (Peter Gabriel and Carl Jung)



 

I like the simpler explanation that he was simply trying to provide material for The Blue Man Group.


MrsTom
Posted: Nov 09, 2016 8:12
 

Seemed to have touched a nerve!! 😂
kcar
Posted: Sep 07, 2016 20:06
 

 Michael_Dean wrote:

 Michael_Dean wrote:
 

Oh glad, I found you, an Expert of Pretentiousness. 

Would it not be handy to have a quick reference chart, seeing that we have so many citations of pretentiousness here in the comments section.  Please arrange the following in order of pretentiousness.  If you will do this work, I promise to post the chart every time I see an offense registered.  We can call it the MrsTom Pretentiousness Gradient, MTPG for short.  Not to be confused with Empty Peter Gabriel, of course, THAT'S a whole other chapter, let's just handle these one at a time and in order.  (Was that too Pretentious?).  ah... wait... we were talking about something...... THE LIST ! ! ! I  I'll have it made like a mountain range, with a snow-white pillow for my big fat head, And my heaven will be a big heaven, And I will walk through the front door.  Big time. (I love me!) (Now, I think that WAS pretentious).


The MrsTom Pretentiousness Gradient - M.T.P.G. (Not to be confused with Empty Peter Gabriel, of course)...



Michael_Dean
Posted: Aug 18, 2016 11:11
 


 MrsTom wrote:
Pretentiousness of the highest level. Sounds a bit crap too
 


 Michael_Dean wrote:  Oh glad, I found you, an Expert of Pretentiousness. 

Would it not be handy to have a quick reference chart, seeing that we have so many citations of pretentiousness here in the comments section.  Please arrange the following in order of pretentiousness.  If you will do this work, I promise to post the chart every time I see an offense registered.  We can call it the MrsTom Pretentiousness Gradient, MTPG for short.  Not to be confused with Empty Peter Gabriel, of course, THAT'S a whole other chapter, let's just handle these one at a time and in order.  (Was that too Pretentious?).  ah... wait... we were talking about something...... THE LIST ! ! ! I  I'll have it made like a mountain range, with a snow-white pillow for my big fat head, And my heaven will be a big heaven, And I will walk through the front door.  Big time. (I love me!) (Now, I think that WAS pretentious).

 


Pretentiousness of the Highest Level
Indubitably Pretentious
Certainly Pretentiousness
Moderately Pretentiousness
Twinkie Defense Pretentiousness
Barely Pretentious
Criminally Pretentious
Chewbacca Defense Pretentious
Almost Pretentiousness
MTPG Pretentious

Oh glad, I found you, an Expert of a bit crap too.....



 
 Michael_Dean wrote:
 

The MrsTom Pretentiousness Gradient - M.T.P.G. (Not to be confused with Empty Peter Gabriel, of course).

 

10.)  MTPG Pretentious - Pretentiousness that precedes all other Pretentiousness, the Pretentiousness from which all Pretentiousness is borne. Big Bang MTPG some have named it - BBMTPG.

09.)  Pretentiousness of the Highest Level - The inflationary epoch occurred at approximately  10−36 seconds after the Big Bang.  Following the inflationary period, The Pretentiousness continues to expand, but at a less rapid rate.  This is why some "Good" music actually can exist.

08.)  Criminally Pretentious - deliberate, willful, malicious, spiteful, wicked, cruel or violent Pretentiousness.

07.)  Certainly Pretentiousness - deliberate, but not violent Pretentiousness.

06.)  Indubitably Pretentious - Pretentiousness Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, you will do the Time for this one.

05.)  Twinkie Defense Pretentiousness - Pretentiousness attributed to insanity AND is defensible in a Court of Law.  These offenses are often "Settled Out of Court".

04.)  Moderately Pretentiousness - A level of Pretentiousness that is still defensible, but does not oblige insanity.

03.)  Barely Pretentious - This is Pretentiousness that just made it over the line.

02.)  Almost Pretentiousness - This is Pretentiousness so feeble that it doesn't really count.

01.)  Anomalous Pretentiousness  - Sometimes it's there, sometimes not.  Physicists are baffled, naming it  a non-zero vacuum energy Pretentiousness.  In the special case of vacuum energy, general relativity stipulates that the gravitational field is proportional to ρ+3p (where ρ is the mass-energy density, and p is the Pretentiousness).

00.)  Chewbacca Defense Pretentious - Red Herring Pretentiousness, not actually pretentiousness at all, 'tis a strategy, should not be listed here. 


DocGuy
(SoCal)
Posted: Jul 05, 2016 17:02
 

 Balthazar50 wrote:
 Wonder if he ever asked the indigenous people of Australia if this was okay by them, heavily borrows from their culture.
The native man does not stand on the rock (Uluru), for it is sacred, and they find it offensive when others do!
 
fredriley wrote:
I wonder if yer man's ever spent time in the Strine outback, going by the intensity of this number. I've never been to Oz myself, but listening to this on 'phones I can almost taste the red dust, feel the searing heat, and smell the wallaby poop :o)

 

 
This song does not directly have anything to do with indigenous Australians. It is based on Carl Jung's writing about his experience with a group of drummers and dancers in Africa. 
frankdelange
(Sweden)
Posted: May 30, 2016 12:59
 

 Balthazar50 wrote:
 Wonder if he ever asked the indigenous people of Australia if this was okay by them, heavily borrows from their culture.
The native man does not stand on the rock (Uluru), for it is sacred, and they find it offensive when others do!
 
fredriley wrote:
I wonder if yer man's ever spent time in the Strine outback, going by the intensity of this number. I've never been to Oz myself, but listening to this on 'phones I can almost taste the red dust, feel the searing heat, and smell the wallaby poop :o)

 

 
He does not need to ask for permission, nor do the natives of Oz need to feel offended. They do not even need to listen to this song.

Stronger even, why do you feel the need to bring up the potential for offence here? Surely you don't feel offended yourself? Why then state unequivocally that 'they find it offensive'? Rest assured that those natives can take care of themselves - they've been doing so for several tens of thousands of years. They do not need someone from the other side of the planet to tell them they (should) feel offended.

In short, think for yourself and let others do their own thinking. Don't bring up the subject of 'offence' when there is no call for it, there is enough of that going around as it is. Also, grow some skin against all those potential offenders, sticks and stones may break your bones but words can only hurt you if you allow them to. Put yourself above the subject of offence, and above those supposed offenders. Don't try to get the world to adjust to each and every potential 'offence', before you know it there won't be any word left to utter for fear of offending someone - anyone...