[ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Log in above to post your comment
quintana
(Germany)
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 22:31
 

Back when U2 made great music! 9/10
lizardking
(700 miles north of Paradise)
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 11:46
 

I'll bump my rating on this track from 6 → 7 simply for the great lyric:

"And so we're told this is the golden age

And gold is the reason for the wars we wage."

Bono speaking truth there!!  Hell.... 7 → 8 and LONG LIVE RP!!

TheKing2
(Arcadia 234)
Posted: May 07, 2018 1:33
 

Music made for stadia : https://www.ted.com/talks/david_byrne_how_architecture_helped_music_evolve
steeler
(Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth)
Posted: Apr 08, 2018 13:47
 

 cely wrote:
This was ubiquitous back when, and I've heard it too many times, and I had a hard time liking it back in the 80s because it was just so drama-filled.  Enough bombast already.  But...that piano, that guitar, the steady rhythm, the plaintive vocals.  When you hear it years later you realize that it's just excellent, and it makes sense these guys took the road less traveled to become the paradigmatic rock band for so many years.  Maybe even still.

 
Indeed. 
cely
(the tropics of discourse)
Posted: Apr 01, 2018 16:37
 

This was ubiquitous back when, and I've heard it too many times, and I had a hard time liking it back in the 80s because it was just so drama-filled.  Enough bombast already.  But...that piano, that guitar, the steady rhythm, the plaintive vocals.  When you hear it years later you realize that it's just excellent, and it makes sense these guys took the road less traveled to become the paradigmatic rock band for so many years.  Maybe even still.
maboleth
Posted: Mar 04, 2018 6:06
 

Oh the times when Bono had a voice of a peasant.
On_The_Beach
(The Blue Planet)
Posted: Jan 01, 2018 20:57
 

New Year's Day on New Year's Day.
Proclivities
(Paris of the Piedmont)
Posted: Sep 15, 2017 9:01
 

 Pike wrote:
A marmite band if ever there was one! I hate marmite.

 
Are you more of a Vegemite enthusiast?
meatmike
(Memphis)
Posted: Jul 21, 2017 11:40
 

When they NEEDED to be heard!
ShamanManu
(somewhere in between)
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 10:08
 

go to NY's day song {#Cheers}
coloradojohn
(Mihara, nestled in a cove on the SetoNaiKai, Japan)
Posted: Mar 15, 2017 21:06
 

YEAH! Still sizzles, still begs to be CRANKED! The distinctive ringing Rhodes piano, that outrageous guitar — and remember, this was decidedly not like anything else at the time! — the fabulous, driving, mad Celtic drumming, the lyrics; wow! and yes, that consummate vocal performer with passion and lungs to match; well, for me, it sounds as awesome as ever, especially coming after "Zombie!" The tour they did that year was astounding! They had to cut the show at Red Rocks short after just long enough to record the album Live at Red Rocks because Edge was nearly zapped by a lightning strike, but they gave all of us who held a ticket stub a very special indoors show the very next night at the CU Events Center and it went for over 3 hours — Bono climbed atop a huge speaker stack and sang his heart out for encore after encore! and it remains as perhaps the best rock show I've ever seen... I saw their 2001 tour here, too!
treatment_bound
(Duluth to Madison)
Posted: Jan 13, 2017 9:00
 

 randyblew wrote:
Just got tickets for the Philly show in June! I missed the Joshua Tree in 87. Love U2, always have, always will.

 

Only saw them once—2/21/82 @ First Ave. in Mpls. for $4

It was 35 years ago, but seems like it was in another lifetime.

Setlist—-

Gloria

Another Time, Another Place

I Threw a Brick Through a Window

A Day Without Me

An Cat Dubh

Into the Heart

Rejoice

The Cry

The Electric Co.

I Fall Down

October

I Will Follow

Twilight

Out of Control

Fire

11 O'Clock Tick Tock

The Ocean

Encore:
Southern Man
(Neil Young cover)

I Will Follow


randyblew
(Raleigh, NC)
Posted: Jan 13, 2017 8:58
 

Just got tickets for the Philly show in June! I missed the Joshua Tree in 87. Love U2, always have, always will.
TotalHip
Posted: Dec 06, 2016 13:30
 

...and Bono served tea to the early arrivals.
 


nutrod42 wrote:

Well, it did rain...

 


nutrod42
(San Francisco, CA)
Posted: Dec 06, 2016 13:28
 

 oppositelock wrote:
I had a chance to see these guys at Red Rocks but I turned it down because I thought it would rain.  Oops.

 
Well, it did rain...
sfyi2001
(Seattle)
Posted: Oct 13, 2016 1:33
 



New year's Day was my introduction to this band. 
I had just done 4 years in the United States Coast Guard when 'WAR' was released in early 1983
and It felt great, like stuff can at 22. 
jimtyrrell
(Owings, MD 20736)
Posted: Oct 07, 2016 13:36
 

Enough. This song should only be played once a year. Sorry but it doesn t work for me after 10,000 plays. I don t mean on RP but before there was this exceptional station, commercial radio just killed it when U2 was so popular. 
easmann
(Standing on Zanzibar)
Posted: Sep 12, 2016 9:59
 

 maboleth wrote:
You can hear his peasant voice in early U2 releases. Barely nailed it in Unforgettable fire, straight great in Joshua to Zooropa, then lost everything and now is so bad, less than mediocre.

But still, the same guy had such an ego to call himself a "good voice" straight in 1980. I should have known.
 
You don't have to like the song, the band, or the singer.
You don't have to be quiet if you don't like them.
You don't have to show manners or courtesy if you choose to say that you don't like something. However, there is a way to get your point across without insults and I think that you would have more influence if you chose that path.

"Peasant voice?" I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. Whatever it means it's clearly used as an insult. In any case, in my view, you've done more harm to your own reputation than to his.

You have gotten one fact wrong: Bono did not choose that name for himself. He was given that name by members of a youth gang to which he belonged prior to the formation of the band, mid-70's. It was most likely a comment on his being rather loud as the name came from a Dublin seller of hearing aids which is in business to this day: Bonavox Hearing Specialists. In my experience teen-aged boys do not give each other flattering nicknames. The fact that he kept the mocking nickname is evidence of humility rather than ego in this case — they were calling him a hearing aid. Peace.
 

maboleth
Posted: Jul 22, 2016 14:07
 

You can hear his peasant voice in early U2 releases. Barely nailed it in Unforgettable fire, straight great in Joshua to Zooropa, then lost everything and now is so bad, less than mediocre.

But still, the same guy had such an ego to call himself a "good voice" straight in 1980. I should have known.
oppositelock
(On the road)
Posted: Jul 10, 2016 14:22
 

I had a chance to see these guys at Red Rocks but I turned it down because I thought it would rain.  Oops.